Vegan, gluten-free and nut-free chocolate granola
Ah, mornings. While many of you may groan at the thought of getting out of a warm cozy bed, mornings are actually my most productive time of day. My predicament? Mornings are just not long enough! No matter how early I set that alarm, I can never seem to find enough time to do all of the things that I'd like to get done before heading off to work. While I have good, healthy intentions, my breakfast ritual often involves me standing over the kitchen sink, scoffing down handfuls of Mini Wheats & drinking almond milk out of the jug. That is, until recently.
My Pinterest addiction inspired me to create grab-and-go breakfasts, packed into mason jars, prepared the night before. These often involve yoghurt or a smoothie, and a little bit of homemade granola. If you haven't made your own granola yet, this is definitely the recipe to try. Sweet cherries, a hint of chocolate, and a tart, tangy cherries, with a wonderful buckwheat crunch. I am a big fan of honey in my granola, but if you're looking for a vegan alternative, maple syrup or agave both work equally well.
- 2 cups rolled oats*
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup unsulphured unsweetened shredded coconut**
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp dark cocoa
- 70g agave nectar OR maple syrup OR honey
- 70g coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Combine all dry ingredients except cherries.
- Melt coconut oil and syrup/honey together in a microwave-safe bowl. Toss with dry ingredients.
- Lay out on parchment sheet and bake at 300F for about 15 minutes.
- Mix, add cherries, and return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before breaking into pieces. Enjoy!
The post Chocolate Granola (Vegan, Nut-Free & Gluten-Free) first appeared on The Bacon Jewish Vegetarian
More from The Bacon Eating Jewish Vegetarian
Tasty mushroom gravy