Easy chicken quesadillas with a Thai twist
September has always been a good month because even as a kid, I always looked forward to school starting. Mostly because there is nothing better than back to school shopping.
Even now I am racking my brain for any and every reason I might need a cute patterned little notebook every time I pass by those glorious bins of school supplies in Target. But then I remember that I bake all day for a living so my notebook needs are pretty much zero. Not that that stops me because I don't even want to talk about how many mostly empty (but still obviously necessary) notebooks I have lying around.But let's be real, I'll probably find a reason to buy a few more this month.
But enough about my school supply hoarding, let's talk about these quesadillas. I'm never really sure where quesadillas fall on the lunch/snack/dinner spectrum, which is great because it means they work perfectly for all three. I also wouldn't be kicking a breakfast quesadilla out of the house so what I'm really saying is show me a time that isn't perfect for cheesy, crispy, hot quesadillas.
These Thai inspired quesadillas have a super quick but unbelievably addicting peanut sauce that get tossed with the chicken and then drizzled all over the top. Since quesadillas are one of the most low maintenance things, I like to keep the lazy times rolling and just use a shredded rotisserie chicken for the filling. But you can also bake up some chicken breasts if you have them on hand, especially if you want to make a giant batch of the filling to set you up for quesadilla time all week long. I admire that.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat some more quesadillas and then buy a notebook for writing down all of my quesadilla related feelings. And maybe a few love songs about melted cheese. I told you I would find a valid reason 👊🏼
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I like to just get a rotisserie chicken but you could also bake chicken breasts if you have them)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 2-3 red thai chilies (if you can't find them, use fresno peppers)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- chopped peanuts, optional
- Combine peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar and garlic in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add 1/3 cup of the sauce to the chicken and stir until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Heat a clean, dry skillet over high heat. Add 1 tortilla (or more if you have a giant skillet) and top with 1/4 cup cheese, 1/2 cup chicken and another 1/4 cup cheese. Make sure the filling reaches all the way to the edges. Top with a second tortilla. Cook until the cheese is melty and the tortillas is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- To serve, cut each quesadilla into 4 triangles. Top with sliced chiles, cilantro and peanuts. Drizzle with the remaining sauce and serve.