Chocolate lovers layered strawberry chocolate mousse dessert
Public service announcement: this dessert is for true dessert lovers only. It's rich and creamy with the combination of fresh strawberries and thick chocolate mousse, and then if that wasn't enough I added crumbles of fudgy brownies. Nope, this is not low fat. But guess what? It is made of all healthy fats, naturally sweetened and satisfies your sweet tooth like a boss! This layered vegan strawberry chocolate mousse dessert is easy to make and the perfect way to wow your friends!
Red juicy fresh strawberries are probably one of my absolute favorite fruits. As summer approaches and the strawberry season arrives I just can't get enough. With the huge success of my newest Perfect Date Sweetened Brownies (if you haven't tried them, just stop now and make them asap), I decided I NEEDED to use them in another recipe. With strawberries, I think chocolate. And these brownies are the most amazing fudgy, chewy chocolatey brownies I have ever had. If you know me, you know I love variation in my textures, so with juicy strawberries and rich chewy brownies, I threw in a thick delicious raw vegan chocolate mousse. Hello drool, it's nice to have you back.
The raw chocolate mousse I made here is a little thicker than your traditional light and airy mousse. I needed something substantial, something that could play a strong game with these chewy brownie crumbles and fresh strawberries. And that it did. The secret to making a nice thick mousse, cashews. Is there anything cashews can't do?! And where else do I turn when I need some cashews? Well one of my fave companies NOW Foods of course! It just so happens I always have a bag of their cashews at the ready, so into the blender they went. And out came my final layer in this layered chocolate mousse dessert!
Are you convinced yet? There should be no hesitations on this one. You can even keep this vegan dessert completely RAW by taking out the brownies (but still make them and eat them another time). And guess what, if you do that then this is ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS!! Um, a 5 ingredient vegan layered chocolate mousse dessert? YES PLEASE. And I bet you have them all in your pantry (I'll wait while you check). Got 'em? Good. So as if this wasn't easy enough, let me hook you up with a few of my tricks.
Tips to plan ahead and make this uber easy:
Make sure you soak your cashews and make those Perfect Date Sweetened Brownies. The brownies get better the next day anyway, plus you always need brownies in your life.
This is the perfect treat for everyone in the family too, adapt it for the little ones!
Serves: Makes 2 jars (8 ounces each)
- ½ cup raw cashews, I use NOW Foods brand (soak overnight if not using a high speed blender)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (placed in refrigerator overnight or freezer for 2-3 hours)
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- Perfect Vegan Date Sweetened Brownies (leave out to keep raw)
- Make brownies if haven't already. Allow to cool, then crumble until you get 1 cup worth. Save the rest of the brownies to devour later.
- Take the can of coconut milk out of the refrigerator/freezer and open it. Using a spoon, remove the harder white thick layer from the top and put into a blender, reserving the clear coconut water for a later use if you want. It makes a great addition to smoothies!
- Add in the cashews, dates and cacao powder and blend until smooth.
- Wash and slice strawberries.
- Layer in 8 ounce mason jars or container of choice. Start by putting ¼ cup of brownie crumbles at the bottom of each container, then add ¼ of the mousse mixture in each cup, then add ¼ cup strawberries. Repeat. You can also layer any way you prefer as well. Leave out the brownie layer if making raw.
- Soak nuts overnight if not using a high speed blender, but if crunched for time, soak in warm water for at least 2 hours or boil for 30 minutes. You can use another type of date, but taste for sweetness level and adjust amount since different dates have different tastes.
- Tips to prep ahead: Make brownies if using. Soak cashews.
- Baby/toddler food idea: Great sweet treat for littles! You can omit brownies and use more fresh strawberries for a wholesome and healthy kid treat. For a baby you can even puree the strawberries and mix in a bit of the coconut cream for a dose of healthy fats.
The post Chocolate Lovers Layered Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Dessert (raw, vegan) appeared first on Veggies Don't Bite.
RELATED: More chocolate-lover recipes