Macy's will test free same-day delivery in select markets for online orders over $75 — here's where you can get it
- Macy's is rolling out a free same-day delivery pilot program in 30 markets beginning on October 1, according to Retail Dive.
- The offer will be available for a limited time and allows shoppers to receive free same-day delivery on online orders placed before noon Monday through Saturday, as well as before 10 a.m. on Sunday.
- Macy's is the latest retailer to test a same-day delivery service, part of an effort to compete with programs like Amazon Prime.
The race to same-day delivery is heating up, just in time for the holiday shopping season.
Macy's is testing free same-day delivery in 30 markets for orders of $75 or more starting on October 1, Retail Dive confirmed. Though the department store first began offering same-day shipping in 2017, the pilot is the first time the retailer will ship orders for free, allowing shoppers to bypass the $8 fee.
Orders placed before noon Monday through Saturday, as well as before 10 a.m. on Sunday, will be delivered the same day with the help of the company's existing partnership with delivery service Deliv.
Macy's effort comes on the heels of Amazon announcing free one-day shipping for Prime subscribers in April, and it mirrors similar efforts from competitors like Walmart, which launched its own free delivery program for orders of $35 or more in March. A Macy's representative did not immediately return Business Insider's request for further comment.
Similar to Walmart, Macy's is playing up the fact that shoppers do not need to be part of a paid program like Prime to participate. A spokesperson told Retail Dive that the service makes, "Macy's the first department store to offer the program without requiring a membership fee."
"Over the last two years, we have made significant investments in new technology in our stores and on our website that have given us the ability to better serve our customer's needs wherever, whenever and however they want to shop with us," Jill Ramsey, Macy's chief product and digital revenue officer, told Retail Dive in a statement.
The pilot program will be accessible for a limited time in the following cities:
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Austin, Texas
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Chicago, Illinois
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Columbus, Ohio
- Dallas, Texas
- Denver, Colorado
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Houston, Texas
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Los Angeles, California
- Miami, Florida
- Minneapolis / St. Paul, Minnesota
- New Jersey
- New York City, New York
- Orange County, California
- Orlando, Florida
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Sacramento, California
- San Antonio, Texas
- San Diego, California
- San Francisco, California
- San Jose, California
- Seattle, Washington
- Tampa, Florida
- Washington, D.C.
- Fast food turns to 'ghost kitchens' and restaurants on wheels as chains like &pizza and Chick-fil-A battle for delivery dominance
- Beyond Meat's chairman jokes that the veggie burger was a 'conspiracy' by the meat industry to prevent people from going vegetarian
- Thousands of people waited in long lines for tips about getting hired at Amazon during the e-commerce giant's Career Day. Here's what it was like on the ground in Arlington.