Deducting summer camps and daycare with the child and dependent care credit

Young girl playing with a bubble maker.

The child and dependent care credit provides a tax break for many parents who are responsible for the cost of childcare. Though the credit is geared toward working parents or guardians, taxpayers who were full-time students or who were unemployed for part of the year may also qualify.

If you paid a daycare center, babysitter, summer camp, or other care provider to care for a qualifying child under age 13 or a disabled dependent of any age, you may qualify for a tax credit of:

  • up to 35% of qualifying expenses of $3,000 for one child or dependent, or
  • up to $6,000 for two or more children or dependents.

Purpose of the child and dependent care credit

The child and dependent care credit is designed to assist working parents and guardians with some of the expenses involved in raising a child or caring for a disabled dependent. The credit,

  • Varies, depending on the taxpayer's earned income,
  • Is based on the expenses paid to provide child or dependent care services so that parents can work, and
  • Reduces the amount of federal income taxes due, which can in turn increase your refund. This frees up more money for some of the other expenses involved in raising a child.

Qualifications for the child and dependent care credit

You must meet several criteria to qualify for the child and dependent care credit. To qualify, you must meet all of the following:

  • You (and your spouse, if you are married filing jointly) must have earned income for the tax year.
  • You must be the custodial parent or main caretaker of the child or dependent.
  • The child or dependent care service must have been used so that you could work or look for employment.
  • Your filing status must be single, head of household, qualifying widow or widower with a qualifying child, or married filing jointly.
  • Your child or dependent must be under 13 or must be disabled and physically or mentally incapable of caring for themself.
  • The childcare provider cannot be your spouse or dependent or the child's parent.

Qualifying expenses for the child and dependent care credit

You may be aware that daycare fees qualify for the child and dependent care credit, but the IRS actually considers much more than just the cost of daycare for this credit. Qualifying expenses also include:

  • Childcare provided by a babysitter or licensed dependent care center.
  • The cost of a cook, housekeeper, maid, or cleaning person who provides care for the child or dependent.
  • Day camp or summer camp fees, even for camps centered around a sport or activity, qualify if the camp was selected to provide care while the parent or parents were at work. However, overnight camps do not qualify.
  • Costs related to before- and after-school care for children under 13.
  • Costs related to a nurse, home care provider, or other care provider for a disabled dependent.

Keep in mind that expenses related to schooling, tutoring, or overnight camps are not qualifying expenses.

Special circumstances

Since every family is different, the IRS has a series of exceptions to the rules in the qualification process. These exceptions allow a greater number of families to take advantage of the credit.

  • For divorced or separated parents, the custodial parent (the parent with whom the child resides for the most nights out of the year) can claim the credit even if the other parent has the right to claim the child as a dependent due to the divorce or separation agreement.
  • You can take the credit for the care of a disabled adult even if you cannot claim her as a dependent because she has too much gross income or because you or your spouse can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • If your spouse is a disabled adult, the IRS waives the requirement for him to have earned income.
  • If your spouse was a full-time student who attended college for at least five months out of the tax year, the IRS considers her to have earned income for each month that she was a full-time student.

Brought to you by

Sending Kids to College

TurboTax can help you take advantage of tax breaks to ease the financial burden of sending kids to college, including tax credits, tuition deductions, tax-free savings and more.

Read More

Brought to you by

Summer Tax Tips

Smart tax planning happens all year round. Here are four things you can do this summer to improve your standing when tax time rolls around again.

Read More

Brought to you by

Federal Tax Credit for Solar Energy

To encourage Americans to use solar power, the EPA and the Department of Energy offer tax credits for solar-powered systems.

Read More

Brought to you by

Bigger, Better College Tax Credit

The American Opportunity tax credit, which replaced the Hope Scholarship credit in 2009, covers more years of college and offers bigger, better benefits to more taxpaying students or their families. Here's how the American Opportunity tax credit and Lifetime Learning credit, another helpful education tax credit, can help offset the rising cost of attending college.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.