Tax season is here: See the 5 forms you’ll need to get your refund

Tax season is here, and if you’re looking forward to a big refund, you probably want to get your return filed as early as possible. Thanks to the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, there have been changes and updates so be sure you have everything in order before doing your taxes. Here are all the documents you’ll need to file your return and get that tax refund.

Form 1040

If you have a simple return and are used to filling out Form 1040-EZ or Form 1040-A, you might be surprised to find that you now need to file Form 1040. All three forms have been consolidated into the Form 1040. But don’t be alarmed — the new Form 1040 is shorter and easier to use. Those with more complex returns will add additional schedules as needed.

Find Out: How to File Taxes Early — and Get Your Return Faster

W-2 Form

Your employer should’ve provide you with a W-2 form by the end of January. This forms tells you how much money you made last year, and how much was withheld for federal and state taxes, Social Security and Medicare. You’ll need all these numbers to complete your taxes. 

RELATED: The U.S. states residents are fleeing to avoid high income tax rates:

5 states residents are fleeing to avoid tax rates
See Gallery
5 states residents are fleeing to avoid tax rates

#1: California
Moving to: Nevada

Nevada does not have a state income tax on individuals or business entities, while California tacks on a whopping 13.3 percent income tax rate to residents.

Place to live: Clear Creek Tahoe
Private residential community located on the eastern slope of the Carson Range in Western Nevada, set on 2,136 acres bordering 6 million acres of national forest. 

#2: Minnesota

Moving to: South Dakota

Minnesota's income tax rates range from 5.35 percent to 9.85 percent while South Dakota's does not have an income tax rate.

Place to live: Prairie Hills
Luxury community in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

#3: Oregon

Moving to: Washington

Oregon's income tax rate is 9.9 percent, Washington has no income tax.

Place to live: Aldarra Golf Club
Private, membership-only golf community east of Seattle.  

#4: Arkansas

Moving to: Texas

Arkansas has an income tax rate of 6.6 percent, Texas has no income tax.

Place to live: Avilla
Luxury living community in Plano, Texas.

#5: Georgia

Moving to: Florida

Georgia has an income tax rate of 6.6 percent, Florida has no income tax rate.

Place to live: Grand Haven
Golf community seated on a 4,000-acre nature preserve on the Intracoastal Waterway



1099 Forms

If you received income from somewhere else besides your employer, you’ll get a 1099 form. These forms can be issued by your bank or broker for interest or dividends you earned, from Social Security or your IRA custodian for retirement income you received, for gains from stock or real estate sales or for money distributed from a health savings account. Self-employed workers will use the 1099-MISC form.

A Step-By-Step Guide: How to File Self-Employment Taxes

1098 Forms

If you paid interest on a mortgage or on a student loan, paid college tuition or donated a vehicle, you should get a 1098 form. Your mortgage lender will send a 1098 so you can deduct the interest paid on your mortgage or home equity loan. If you paid student loan interest, you’ll get a 1098-E, and if you paid tuition you’ll get a 1098-T so you might qualify for education credits.

Related: New Homeowners, Here’s What You Need to Know for Your Taxes

Last Year’s Return

Having last year’s tax return handy will help you file this year. It’s common to have the same kinds of deductions each year, so if you can see what you did last year it might help speed the process. However, keep in mind that the standard deductions nearly doubled in 2018.

Other Tax Forms and Records

It’s a good idea to have access to your bank and credit card statements for the year, because you might be able to deduct some of the items you purchased. If you had health insurance from the Healthcare Marketplace — aka Obamacare — you will get a Form 1095-A, which you will need when you file. If you needed other forms last year, you might need those forms again.

Tax time is never fun, but being prepared by having the right documents handy will make that task go more quickly, so you can get that refund sooner.

Check out the guide to finding out when you can expect your tax refund.

More from GO Banking Rates:  
Why the Bonus Tax Rate Is Bad News for Your Tax Refund 
Trump’s Tax Reform: How All the New Laws Will Affect Your Taxes 
Democrats Control the House — Will Your Taxes Change Again?

We make money easy. Get weekly email updates, including expert advice to help you Live Richer™.

This article originally appeared on Tax Season Is Here: See the 5 Forms You’ll Need to Get Your Refund

The 10 Most Overlooked Tax Deductions

Don't overpay taxes by overlooking these tax deductions. See the 10 most common deductions taxpayers miss on their tax returns so you can keep more money in your pocket.

Read More

Brought to you by

How to Find a Good CPA for Your Taxes

Finding a good CPA for your taxes is simple with these seven tips: 1. Ask about their specialization; 2. Verify their identification number, 3. Look up their license, 4. Consider their experience, 5. Confirm their willingness to sign, 6. Ask for advice, and 7. Determine their fees.

Read More

Brought to you by

Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions

Self-employed taxpayers report their business income and expenses on Schedule C. TurboTax can help make the job easier.

Read More

Brought to you by

2018 Tax Reform Impact: What You Should Know

Congress has passed the largest piece of tax reform legislation in more than three decades. The bill went into place on January 1, 2018, which means that it will affect the taxes of most taxpayers for the 2018 tax year.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.