Sarah Douglas ordered a latte from a McDonald's drive-through in Alberta, Canada on Sunday.
Rather than a regular coffee, the milk in her drink was mixed with cleaning fluid.
The tainted coffee was created because two cleaning lines were still connected to the milk line when the made her coffee.
A McDonald's outlet served a pregnant woman a latte from its McCafé range that was full of cleaning fluid instead of milk.
Sarah Douglas stopped at a drive-through outlet in Lethbridge, a town in Alberta, Canada, to get a drink on Sunday morning.
She paid and left, but realised on taking a sip that her drink had a chemical taste, and immediately spat it out. The outlet later realised that staff had accidentally left the coffee machine attached to a container of cleaning fluid.
Here's a photo of Douglas, shared on Twitter by a Canadian local news anchor:
A 32 week pregnant woman in Lethbridge, Sarah Douglas, says she was served cleaning fluid when she ordered a latte at McDonald’s in Lethbridge. Owner Dan Brown-Unfortunately the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest’s drink was made. Photo: LNN pic.twitter.com/takA8VCa3K
— Hal Roberts 🇨🇦 (@Hal__Roberts) August 1, 2018
Douglas described the drink in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. She said: "I opened up the lid of the coffee and out pours this pungent smell of chemical. It wasn’t a latte at all."
When she returned to the restaurant to complain, she said was offered a new coffee, but responded: "Absolutely not, this is unacceptable."
A staff member told her that two cleaning lines were connected to the milk line, a detail confirmed by franchise manager Dan Brown in a later statement.
"What happened is that the machine was being cleaned — as it is every morning," Brown said. "Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest’s drink was made."
The supervisor on duty showed her the cleaning fluid packaging so she could give health officials complete information about what she drank. Since she did not swallow any of the fluid, Douglas was ultimately fine, and given the all-clear by a doctor.
But Douglas said that staff told her this was not the first time this had happened.
A co-worker who overheard her talking with the supervisor "and was a little bit upset at the situation and said that this had happened before," Douglas told local news website Lethbridge News Now. "And she was a little mad that it was occurring again."
Dan Brown, the manager of the McDonald's franchise, apologized in a statement, and said his team had been in "very close contact" with Douglas.
He continued: "We have taken immediate action to review the proper cleaning procedures with the team and have put additional signage up as an added reminder."
He said that the health inspector visited the restaurant and is "not investigating further."
NOW WATCH: How Tabasco sauce is made