Kentucky McDonald's customers warned they may have hepatitis

Patrons of an eastern Kentucky McDonald's were warned they may show signs of hepatitis A over the next month after an infected worker handled products at the fast-food joint.

The Madison County Health Department warned citizens what at the Berea McDonald’s might begin to show signs of the liver ailment between April 7 and May 12.

That’s because someone infected with hepatitis A handled food there on March 23, the department said.

While the risk is low to customers, they can be infected by someone who didn’t wash his or her hands after using the bathroom and then touched food or other items.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Anyone infected with hepatitis A can have dark urine, fatigue, nausea, joint pain and jaundice, the department said on its website.

“Everyone is also reminded that handwashing is the best way to prevent infection,” the department warned. “Handwashing should be emphasized especially after using the bathroom, changing a diaper or preparing and eating food.”

The restaurant — located about 40 miles south of Lexington — is cooperating with Kentucky authorities, the health department said.

In February, health inspectors gave the McDonald's a 100% rating, the department said.

The burger joint isn’t the only restaurant in the region to recently be blighted by the hepatitis strain.

Dinners at a pair of Waffle Houses in Boyd County, located in northeast Kentucky, were put at risk earlier this year, the Lexington Herald Leader reported. A worker at Ken’s Express Mart in neighboring Ashland County dealt with food at that store over the last few weeks.