3 costly ways homeowner tax breaks will change in 2018

Republican leaders have been boasting that the tax reform bill “preserves the mortgage interest deduction, providing tax relief to current and aspiring homeowners,” as their bill summary puts it. But the 185-page bill is more complex than that.

The federal income tax deduction for mortgage interest is not among the multiple tax breaks that will disappear in 2018 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which President Donald Trump signed into law Friday. But this deduction will be scaled back, making it less valuable for many folks.

Additionally, the tax deduction for other types of home equity debt will disappear in 2018.

It's not the usual blah, blah, blah. Click here to sign up for our free newsletter.

Here are three key changes:

  1. Less mortgage interest will be deductible [SOURCES: H&R Block AND Republican bill summary AND enrolled bill AND conference report]. Taxpayers with mortgages taken out on or after Dec. 15, 2017, can deduct interest on mortgage debt that totals up to $750,000 (or $375,000 for married couples filing separate returns). Under prior tax law, these limits were higher: $1 million and $500,000, respectively. Taxpayers with mortgages taken out before Dec. 15, 2017, can continue to deduct interest on the higher amounts of mortgage debt, however.
  2. Interest on home equity loans is no longer deductible [SOURCES = H&R Block AND enrolled bill]. Before the changes in the tax code, taxpayers could deduct interest on home equity debt that totaled up to $100,000 (or $50,000 for couples filing separately). Such debt includes home equity loans.
  3. Interest on home equity lines of credit (HELOCs) is no longer deductible. Under the prior tax code, taxpayers could deduct interest on home equity debt that totaled up to $100,000 (or $50,000 for couples filing separately). Such debt includes HELOCs.

RELATED: Check out the most tax-friendly states in the US:

Most tax-friendly states in America
See Gallery
Most tax-friendly states in America

10. Delaware

(DenisTangneyJr via Getty Images)

9. Mississippi

(SeanPavonePhoto via Getty Images)

8. South Dakota.

(Getty Images)

7. Alabama


6. Louisiana


5. Arizona

(Dreamframer via Getty Images)

4. Nevada

(ddub3429 via Getty Images)

3. Florida

(TraceRouda via Getty Images)

2. Alaska

(yenwen via Getty Images)

1. Wyoming

(Putt Sakdhnagool via Getty Images)



All three of these changes take effect after Dec. 31, 2017, but expire Jan. 1, 2026 [SOURCES = https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr1/BILLS-115hr1enr.pdf and https://www.congress.gov/congressional-report/115th-congress/house-report/466/1?overview=closed].

In other words, your 2017 tax return will be your last chance for a decade to claim the greater mortgage interest deduction or the deductions for other home equity debt interest, assuming you were eligible for them previously.

So, if you are considering buying a home, account for the lower threshold for mortgage interest when weighing whether to buy or rent.

If you currently have an outstanding home equity loan or HELOC, pay off as much of it as you can this week, before the year ends. Any interest you pay on such debts in 2018 will not be tax-deductible.

What’s your take on this news? Sound off below or over on our Facebook page.

Filing an Income Tax Extension

If you aren't able to complete your federal tax return by the April deadline, find out how and when to file for an IRS extension with these tips from TurboTax.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

What is a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)?

A CPA (Certified Public Accountant) is an accounting professional licensed and credentialed by a state or territory to offer accounting services, including tax preparation, to the public.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

How to File an Amended Return with the IRS

If you've made an error on a tax return you already filed or simply come across new information, such as a tax deduction or credit you now realize you qualify for, file an amended tax return to make the correction. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) knows the tax code is complex, and that people make mistakes. The process for filing an amendment is straightforward. Simply file Form 1040X, Amended Tax Return, along with the corrected or additional documents you did not originally file with your return.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

2018 Tax Reform Impact: What You Should Know

Congress has passed the largest piece of tax reform legislation in more than three decades. The bill went into place on January 1, 2018, which means that it will affect the taxes of most taxpayers for the 2018 tax year.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.