Personal finance expert: Here's what to do with the money you may save on taxes

The GOP tax bill would cut taxes for the majority of filers in 2018.

"The whole game of our tax returns is about to massively change in 2018," says David Bach, personal finance expert and New York Times bestselling author, "and many of you are actually going to save a fortune on your tax returns. The key is to make sure you take advantage of it and do it correctly."

For starters, this means not spending your tax refund mindlessly.

"When the government tells us that they're going to lower our taxes and we're going to get money back, what they really want us to do is go spend that money because they want the economy to go up," Bach tells CNBC Make It. "Here's what I want you to do: I want your economy to go up."

To do so, here are the three smartest things to do with your potential savings:

What to do with the money you may save on taxes
See Gallery
What to do with the money you may save on taxes

1. Build up your rainy day fund. If you don't have at least six months worth of living expenses set aside, build up your emergency fund, says Bach.

Life doesn't always go as planned — you could lose your job, have a medical emergency or deal with a car breaking down — and it's important to build yourself a safety net.


2. Up your 401(k) plan. The more you can set aside in your employer sponsored retirement account, the better. If you get a windfall from the IRS, increase your 401(k) contributions "by at least 2 percent," says Bach.


3. Open a "dream account" to start saving for future purchases. Think about something fun or cool you want to do between now and retirement. This could be a traveling outside of the country, going to the Super Bowl or enrolling in grad school.

Then, use your extra savings to "open up an investment account specifically for that dream," says Bach, and commit to adding to it on a consistent basis.



To get a better idea of whether or not you'll save on your tax returns — and if so, how much you'll save — plug your information into the New York Times' tax bill calculator.

Like this story? Like CNBC Make It on Facebook!

Don't miss: Here's how the final GOP tax plan affects current, former and future students

Tax Breaks and Home Ownership

Home ownership brings with it not only many trips to home improvement stores, but also a slew of tax breaks. It's up to you to take full advantage of the write-offs available to you. Here's what you can and can't deduct.

Read More

Brought to you by

Sending Kids to College

TurboTax can help you take advantage of tax breaks to ease the financial burden of sending kids to college, including tax credits, tuition deductions, tax-free savings and more.

Read More

Brought to you by

Tax Aspects of Home Ownership: Selling a Home

Though most home-sale profit is now tax-free, there are still steps you can take to maximize the tax benefits of selling your home. Learn how to figure your gain, factoring in your basis, home improvements and more.

Read More

Brought to you by

How to Avoid Taxes on Canceled Mortgage Debt

If you lost your principal residence to a foreclosure or short sale, TurboTax can help you deal with the tax implications, including recent tax law changes that can offer some relief.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.