Everything you need to know about tax changes for 2018

The old saying that nothing is certain except death and taxes is only partly true. While you can expect to continue to pay taxes in 2018, the Internal Revenue Service has announced a number of changes to the tax laws for the upcoming year. Many changes are triggered by inflation, so many of the income limits for claiming deductions are increasing. Read on for a tax update on the changes you need to know about to plan for your financial future, and the tax breaks you can expect to get in 2018.

Tax changes coming in 2018
See Gallery
Tax changes coming in 2018

1. Tax Brackets Increase for All Filing Statuses

Your federal taxes are calculated based on the tax brackets for your filing status. Each year, these brackets are adjusted for inflation. Here are the income levels for the top tax brackets for each filing status in 2018:

Single: $426,700 (up from $418,400 in 2017)
Head of Household: $453,350 (up from $444,550 in 2017)
Married Filing Jointly: $480,050 (up from $470,700 in 2017)
Married Filing Separately: $240,025 (up from $235,350 in 2017) 

Photo credit: Getty

2. Employer-Sponsored Retirement Contribution Limits Increase

The contribution limit for elective deferrals to 401k, 403(b), most 457 plans and the federal government's Thrift Savings Plan increases to $18,500 in 2018 from $18,000 in 2017. The total amount that can be contributed to a plan by you and your employer combined rises to $55,000 from $54,000. However, the amount of the catch-up contribution for taxpayers aged 50 and older remains at $6,000.

Related: 9 Smart Strategies to Maximize 401k Contributions 

Photo credit: Getty

3. Traditional IRA Income Restrictions to Deduct Contributions Rise

Contribution limits for IRAs remained unchanged at $5,500 (plus $1,000 as a catch-up contribution if you are 50 or older). However, the IRS did announce a few other tax changes that impact IRAs. First, if you are covered by an employer-sponsored plan, your income limit when you'll still get a deduction for contributing increases.

Single Filers: The maximum deduction is reduced at $63,000 (up from $62,000 in 2017) and is completely eliminated at $73,000 (up from $72,000).
Joint Filers: The maximum deduction is reduced at $101,000 (up from $99,000) and is completely eliminated at $121,000 (up from $119,000).

If your spouse is covered, but you aren't, your maximum deduction is reduced at $189,000 (up from $186,000) and is completely eliminated at $199,000 (up from $196,000).

Learn: Roth vs. Traditional IRA: Which Retirement Plan Is Best for Me? 

Photo credit: Getty

4. Income Limits to Contribute to a Roth IRA Rise

Roth IRAs offer after-tax savings for retirement, but if your income is too high for the year, you're not allowed to make a contribution.

Single filers: Your maximum contribution is reduced when your modified adjusted gross income is $120,000 (up from $118,000) and eliminated at $135,000 (up from $133,000).
Joint filers: Your maximum contribution is reduced when your modified adjusted gross income is $189,000 (up from $186,000) and eliminated at $199,000 (up from $196,000). 

Photo credit: Shutterstock

5. Standard Deduction Rises for All Filing Statuses

The standard deduction is a deduction that all taxpayers are entitled to unless they choose to itemize their deductions. The 2018 standard deductions for all filing statuses are as follows:

Single: $6,500 (up from $6,350 in 2017)
Head of Household: $9,550 (up from $9,350)
Married Filing Jointly: $13,000 (up from $12,700)
Married Filing Separately: $6,500 (up from $6,350) 

Photo credit: Getty

6. Income Caps Rise Before Itemized Deduction Limitations Apply

If your adjusted gross income is too high, the amount you can claim for certain itemized deductions is limited. These itemized deductions include charitable gifts, taxes paid, interest paid, job expenses and other miscellaneous deductions (excluding gambling losses and casualty and theft losses). In 2018, the limitations start kicking in when your adjusted gross income exceeds $266,700 if you are single or $320,000 if you are married filing jointly, up from $259,400 if single and $311,300 if married filing jointly in 2017.

More on Deductions: Best and Worst Ways to Itemize Your Taxes 

Photo credit: Getty

7. Personal Exemptions Increase

The value of a personal exemption increases from $4,050 to $4,150 in 2018. Each exemption you claim reduces your taxable income. Unless someone else claims you as a dependent, you claim yourself, your spouse (if married and filing jointly) and anyone who qualifies as your dependent. However, if you make too much money, the value of the exemption is reduced or eliminated. For 2018:

For single filers: Reduced starting at $266,700 and eliminated at $389,200
For joint filers: Reduced starting at $320,000 and eliminated at $442,500

The exemption is subject to a phase-out that begins with adjusted gross incomes of $266,700 ($320,000 for married couples filing jointly). It phases out completely at $389,200 ($442,500 for married couples filing jointly). 

Photo credit: Getty

8. HSA Contribution Limits Go Up

Health savings accounts let you save money in a special tax-advantaged account for future medical expenses. In 2018, the amount you can stash away increases to $3,450 for self-only coverage (up from $3,400 in 2017) and $6,900 for taxpayers with family coverage (up from $6,750). 

Photo credit: Getty

9. Estate and Gift Tax Exemptions Increase

In 2018, the federal estate tax exemption rises to $5.6 million from $5.49 million in 2017. At a 40 percent estate tax rate, that adds up to $44,000 in savings from the previous year. In addition, the gift tax annual exclusion, or the amount you can give each person before you use up some of the estate tax exemption (or owe gift taxes), rises to $15,000 from $14,000.

Related: What is the Death Tax? 

Photo credit: Getty

10. Transportation Fringe Benefit Limit Increases

Usually, you're required to include not only any cash payments you receive from your employer but also any other benefits your employer pays on your behalf when you report your taxable income to the IRS. However, there are certain exceptions known as fringe benefits. For example, in 2018, your employer can provide you with up to $260 of transportation benefits each month, such as free parking or a public transportation pass, without it increasing your taxable income. In 2017, the limit was $255 per month.

Up Next: 50 Tax Write-Offs You Don't Know About 

Photo credit: Getty


This article originally appeared on GOBankingRates.com: Everything You Need to Know About Tax Changes for 2018 

More from GOBankingRates: 
Is Child Support Tax-Deductible? 
10 Tax Tips Every Married Couple Must Know 
Here’s How Much Americans Pay in Taxes in Every State

Driving for Lyft? Use This Tax Preparation Checklist

So, you decided to become your own boss (at least part-time) and start driving for a ride-sharing company like Lyft. Use the Lyft tax preparation checklist below to organize your income and deductions to make filing your taxes a breeze. Remember, not all items listed will apply to you, but it will give you a good idea on what you need to report as income and what you can claim as a deduction.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Video: The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) Explained

Originally created to make sure the wealthy paid taxes even after using tax breaks and loopholes, the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) has never been updated and continues to impact middle class Americans more and more each year as a result of inflation. To compensate for inflation, the AMT now includes an exemption amount. This exemption is indexed for inflation so it changes every year.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Energy Tax Credit: Which Home Improvements Qualify?

Taxpayers who upgrade their homes to make use of renewable energy may be eligible for a tax credit to offset some of the costs. As of the 2018 tax year, the federal government offers the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit. The credits are good through 2019 and then are reduced each year through the end of 2021. Claim the credits by filing Form 5695 with your tax return.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Top 5 Reasons to File Your Taxes Early

Every April, many taxpayers wait until the last minute to file their federal income tax returns. Despite this tendency, there are many reasons to file your taxes early. If you will receive a refund, you may want to submit your return as quickly as possible. Additionally, there are benefits to filing early for those taxpayers who have a balance due.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.