Amazon has been quietly launching sportswear brands all year
- Amazon has been quietly selling private-label sportswear brands.
- It launched a high-performance brand, Peak Velocity, in October, as well as two other brands earlier this year.
- These new offerings make Amazon a bona fide sportswear maker.
Amazon has been quietly diving into the world of sportswear, a spokesperson confirmed with Business Insider.
Its new sports-oriented clothing brand, Peak Velocity, which it launched in late October, offers performance sweatshirts and sweatpants with features like moisture-wicking and stretch. It has two lines: "Quantum Fleece" which the website says is "built for work," and "Metro Fleece," which is higher-priced and "built for everyday."
Peak Velocity is one part of Amazon's larger push into sportswear. It has two other, more general, sportswear lines: Rebel Canyon, a lifestyle streetwear take on sportswear, and Goodsport, a wider-ranging line of traditional workout gear with tops, bottoms, and outerwear.
RELATED: Evolution of Adidas
Both lines offer both men's and women's clothes at prices lower than the Peak Velocity line, and they're also limited to Prime members. They were released earlier in 2017.
This new offering puts Amazon squarely in competition with sports brands like Nike and Lululemon. Nike is currently in a pilot program to sell product on Amazon, which a Nike executive described as successful. Peak Velocity, in particular, goes after the high-performance sportswear niche that Nike is known for.
More from Business Insider:
- Amazon is using one of its biggest assets in an aggressive push ahead of the holiday season
- Legalized pot is the new craft beer — and beer industry giants are already spending millions to take control
- Major pizza brands are stuck in the middle of a fierce culture war — but here's how Papa John's really stacks up to Pizza Hut and Domino's