Job openings in the US rose to the highest on record in April, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Openings totaled 6.04 million, according to the monthly Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey released on Tuesday. A record number of vacancies was posted in the accommodation and food services industries. Openings in durable-goods manufacturing fell by 30,000.
The high number of openings underscores the challenges that some employers have been filling positions, eight years after the recession, even for some jobs that are not highly specialized. The number of hires fell by 253,000 to 5.05 million, the lowest since April 2016.
Economists had forecast that job openings in the US totaled 5.75 million in April, improved from an upwardly revised 5.785 million in March, according to Bloomberg.
The JOLTS report also included the quits rate, which was unchanged at 2.1%. Quits rose to a postrecession high of 2.2% in January. Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen has said this rate, which gauges quits as a share of total employment, signifies how confident people are in being able to find a new job if they resign, making it a good bellwether of overall labor-market conditions.
1. Zendesk Company Rating: 4.3 Where Hiring: San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Madison, WI; Remote & more. What Roles: Velocity Account Executive, Senior DevOps Engineer, Sales Development Representative, University Recruiting Specialist, Senior Database Administrator, Senior Video Editor & more. What Employees Say: “Everyone’s motivated to help Zendesk customers help their customers have better relationships. People have real friendships and engagement with coworkers. There’s a lot of positive work-together energy. The hiring process was GREAT! Lots of meaningful conversations, connecting with people. Onboarding was well-structured, and not too-structured. Nice blend, and has felt very comfortable.” —Current Employee
2. TBI Telecom Brokerage Company Rating: 4.1 Where Hiring: Chicago, IL; San Antonio, TX & more. What Roles: Sales Trainer, Director of National Channel Sales, Project Coordinator, Software Integration Channel Manager, Direct Sales Representative & more. What Employees Say: “TBI Inc. is a growing company with a lot of new and exciting opportunities for it’s team members. They like to bring on new hires with different backgrounds to add new perspectives and ideas to the table to help the company develop. If you come to work, have a great attitude, and work hard, you will get recognized which is a major perk of being apart of the TBI family. Upper management is accessible to the more entry level employees which is rare for a lot of organizations. They truly care about the employees and the overall success of the team. Recently, they have added new wellness programs and healthy snack options in the break room which just goes to show the company wants to improve the employee experience. I’m very lucky to be apart of this team!” —Current Employee
3. Hayneedle Company Rating: 3.4 Where Hiring: Omaha, NE; Riverside, CA & more. What Roles: Workforce Coordinator, Pricing Analyst, Digital Category Owner, Customer Care Specialist, Director of Customer Acquisition, Project Manager, Domestic Transportation Specialist, Work-from-Home Online Retail Specialists & more. What Employees Say: “Hayneedle has a great culture. It’s a positive place to work. The company is growing and it’s an exciting time to work there. In years to come, I think people will look back at Hayneedle and wish they would’ve joined the team at this pivotal time.” —Current Employee
4. Ultimate Software Company Rating: 4.5 Where Hiring: Fort Lauderdale, FL; Atlanta, GA; San Francisco, CA; San Diego, CA; Alpharetta, GA; Toronto; San Diego, CA; Santa Ana, CA & more. What Roles: Tax Payment Specialist, Business Continuity Technologist, Data Scientist, Software DevOps Engineer, Payroll Specialist, Consulting Manager, People Success Manager & more. What Employees Say: “The leadership/founders of this company are approachable. They truly care for their employees’ and families. Pay is great. Location is great, facilities are exceptional and very clean and updated. Workspace feels cozy and we feel like family. By far the best CEO!” —Current Employee
5. Axiom Law Company Rating: 4.1 Where Hiring: Charlotte, NYC; New York, NY; Chicago, IL; San Francisco, CA; Houston, TX; St. Louis, MO & more. What Roles: Payments Attorney, Junior Commercial Contract Attorney, Operations Analyst, Consumer Banking Attorney, Pharmacy Benefit Management Attorney, Compliance Officer, M&A Attorney & more. What Employees Say: “Deep-rooted company culture that values difference and challenges you to think big. An innovative model and a very strong senior leadership team who make you feel like you’re playing a key role in changing an industry. Generally very supportive colleagues and a competitive package. Opportunities for travel are good although depend on function; sense of global community is strong.” —Current Employee
6. Palo Alto Networks Company Rating: 3.6 Where Hiring: Denver, CO; Santa Clara, CA; New England, ND; Plano, TX; St. Louis, MO; New York, NY & more. What Roles: Events Manager, Field Marketing Manager, Inside District Sales Manager, IT Manager, Premium Support Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, Critical Account Program Manager & more. What Employees Say: “Benefits are great, but the best thing is, without a question, the culture. As long as they keep the relaxed atmosphere and treat their employees well, we are good.” —Current Technical Support Engineer
7. Amazon Company Rating: 3.5 Where Hiring: Richmond, CA; Seattle, WA; Cambridge, MA; Portland, OR; Santa Monica, CA; Chicago, IL & more. What Roles: Data Scientist, Part-Time Seasonal Shipping and Receiving Associate, SR. HR Leader, Solutions Architect, Economist, UX Researcher, Curriculum Developer, Global Practice Manager, Technical Writer, Software Development Engineer, Art Director, Big Data Consultant & more. What Employees Say: “Great starting pay and the ability to get raises very quickly. Full training in all areas are offered and if your willing to work hard and sweat everyday for 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, then this is the job for you. The 4 day weeks go by quick, it can be exhausting so proper rest and a healthy lifestyle will help you stay strong within this company. Beat benefits as well once you are a hired on as a full-time employee.” —Former Warehouse Associate
8. Glassdoor Company Rating: 4.0 Where Hiring: Mill Valley, CA; Chicago, IL; Green, OH; Dublin; New York, NY; London, England & more. What Roles: Salesforce Solution Architect, Lead Data Scientist, Marketing Analytics Manager, Software Engineering Intern, Sales Development Representative, Director of Product Marketing, Director of Global Sales Enablement, Collateral Designer, Lead Technical Recruiter, Senior Director of Revenue & more. What Employees Say: “I work with some of the most talented and fun people every day. The challenges that are put in front of you on a daily basis are challenging, but you know that nearly everything you touch is having a direct impact on the company trajectory. One of the best things about working for Glassdoor, is it is extremely easy to stand behind and be motivated by the company mission to help everyone find a job that they love.” —Current Sales Analyst
9. 84 Lumber Company Rating: 3.1 Where Hiring: Keller, VA; Raleigh, NC; Northport, AL; San Antonio, TX; Winder, GA; Houston, TX; Fayetteville, NC; Niagara Falls, NY; Plant City, FL; Morgantown, WV & more. What Roles: Yard Associate, Truck Driver, Outside Sales Rep, Hourly Door Manufacturer, A/R Clerk Benefits, General Laborer, Delivery Driver, Production Associate, Residential Estimator, Traveling Superintendent, Operations Manager, Project Manager & more. What Employees Say: “The sky is the limit with this company. They promote from the ground up. If you don’t put your time in you won’t get compensated….. it’s as simple as that. Yes, MT is grunt work(you’ll clean bathrooms, do dirty work etc..) but if you’re like me and came in with zero building knowledge you will learn a TON! You can move up quick if you apply yourself. You have to take a written test and go to corporate(PA) for two classes before you can be promoted to co manager. But there are multiple routes you can take other than management that don’t require all the “red tape”. Just know that 84 offers a lot of opportunity so don’t get discouraged by the initial pay. It’s entry level pay for a reason.. they don’t want you to be there forever.” —Current Warehouse Manager
(Jeff Swensen for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
10. AppDynamics Company Rating: 4.2 Where Hiring: Dallas, TX; Cincinnati, OH; San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Boston, MA & more. What Roles: Executive Assistant, Business Development Representative, Senior UI Engineer, Consultant, Enterprise Sales Representative, Sr. Project Manager, Sales Engineer, Contracts Manager, Incident Manager & more. What Employees Say: “True team of A-players, the best salesforce in the business. Collaboration-I’ve never worked in an office where people are so open to share best practices, and celebrate the successes of their peers. Leadership-committed to helping the team win opportunities and find new and creative ways to differentiate in the market. Career Changer-joining AppDynamics was the single best decision I’ve made, both from a personal and professional perspective. When we say The Next Great Software Company, we mean it!” —Current Account Manager
Photographer: David Paul Morris/Bloomberg via Getty Images
11. Agoda Company Rating: 4.0 Where Hiring: Providence, RI; San Francisco, CA; Norwalk, CT; Seattle, WA; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; Bangkok, Thailand; Budapest & more. What Roles: Director of Product Marketing, Global Head of Customer Experience Group, Customer Support Specialist, Market Manager, Back End Team Engineer, UX Prototyper, Senior Recruitment Specialist & more. What Employees Say: “The people are so helpful, positive, supportive and diverse! The Agoda travel planning products are so user friendly and continues to thrive to be even better. I appreciate a face-paced company that puts its employees first and has a goal for continued improvement for its customers as well as minimizing the bureaucracy in the workplace. This is a company that truly appreciates a diverse workforce and empowers us to do our jobs to the best of our ability.” —Current Senior Technical Recruiter
Photographer: Daniel Acker/Bloomberg via Getty Images
12. FirstLight Homecare Company Rating: 4.0 Where Hiring: Rock Hill, SC; Charlotte, NC; Delray Beach, FL; Wichita, KS; Tomball, TX & more. What Roles: Care Coordinator, Certified Nursing Assistant, Companion Care Assistant, Marketing Specialist, Home Health Aid, Bookkeeper & more. What Employees Say: “FirstLight is an amazing company to work for! Love working with my clients, and an amazing boss. My favorite thing is, you really get to connect with clients and their families. I’m very comfortable and enjoy going to work every day.” —Current Employee
13. PandaDoc Company Rating: 4.0 Where Hiring: Saint Petersburg, FL; San Francisco, CA & more. What Roles: Financial Controller, Recruiting Manager, Office Manager, Customer Success Manager, Account Executive, Marketing Operations Manager & more. What Employees Say: “Great culture, caring team. Clear visionary goals and milestones. Flexible schedules. Results oriented policies. Clear indicators that company leaders are continually taking feedback and working to improve employee and customer experiences.” —Current Employee
14. Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Company Rating: 3.1 Where Hiring: Wilmington, DE; Homewood, AL; San Rafael, CA; Portland, OR; Atlanta, GA; San Luis Obispo, CA; Bellevue, WA; Oak Park, IL & more. What Roles: Receptionist, Center Manager, Tutor, Shipping and Warehouse Manager, Clinician, Web Developer, IT Specialist, Satellite Office Coordinator & more. What Employees Say: “Excellent results for students. High impact programs that change people’s lives. The world is a better place because of the work these people are doing.” —Former Administrative Assistant
15. Xpo Logistics, Inc. Company Rating: 3.4 Where Hiring: Fairburn, GA; Athol, MA; Burlington, NJ; Ellenwood, GA; Aurora, IL; Midland, MI; Portland, OR; Dublin, OH; Savannah, GA; Fontana, CA; Dallas, TX & more. What Roles: Material Handler, Warehouse General Manager, UX Mail Clerk, Helper Last Mile, Dock Worker, Manager Engineering and Solutions, Freight Operations Supervisor & more. What Employees Say: “Very good leadership with superior strategic vision. Strong technology platforms. Growth is creating opportunities for employees.” —Current Operations Executive
Photographer: Chris Goodney/Bloomberg via Getty Images
16. Jobvite Company Rating: 4.0 Where Hiring: San Mateo, CA & Remote What Roles: Relationship/Renewals Manager, Director of Product Management, Senior Infrastructure Engineer, Customer Success Manager, Regional Sales Manager, SMB Account Executive, Enterprise Project Manager, Senior Product Manager & more. What Employees Say: ““Extremely talented and collaborative engineering team and leadership. Very approachable management team all the way to CEO. Great talent across the board. Good brand recognition in the recruiting industry and plenty of future growth opportunities in the recruitment space for the company to capitalize on.” —Former Director of Engineering
17. Delta Airlines Company Rating: 4.2 Where Hiring: Milwaukee, WI; Atlanta, GA; Nashville, TN; Portland, OR; Los Angeles, CA; Denver, CO; Cincinnati, OH & more. What Roles: Graduate Intern Summer, Station Manager, Ground Maintenance Mechanic, System Engineer, Shop Equipment Technician, Lead Supply Attendant, Specialist-Reliability Programs, Manager, Aviation Maintenance Tech, Baggage Handler, Customer Service Agent & more. What Employees Say: “The travel benefits make the job worth while, also having the ability to maintain a flexible schedule really helps out a lot.” —Former Flight Attendant
A Delta Airlines plane begins flight operations after the airlines computer systems crashed leaving passengers stranded as flights were grounded globally at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington, U.S., August 8, 2016. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
18. Reynolds Consumer Products Company Rating: 3.4 Where Hiring: Lake Forest, IL; Tamara, PA; Bentonville, AR; Appleton, WI; Louisville, KU; Jacksonville, IL; Malvern, AR; Richmond, VA & more. What Roles: Senior Operations Leader, Data Scientist, Mechanical Engineer Internship, Corporate Quality Engineer, Electrician, Replenishment Manager, Finance Manager, Inside Sales Representative, Technician & more. What Employees Say: “The corporate leadership team is very accessible and willing to support the field locations. The company values match my own and are something I can get behind and endorse. There is a strong message of integrity throughout the company. Also, I find the compensation competitive and the benefits package more than competitive. I’ve been pleased with the benefits so far and think they are better than some similar companies.” —Current HR Manager
19. HubSpot Company Rating: 4.6 Where Hiring: Cambridge, MA; San Francisco, CA; Dublin & more. What Roles: Technical Recruiter, PR Manager, Product Manager, Videographer & Editor, Marketing Intern, Software Engineer, Senior iOS Developer, Global Director of Marketing Operations, Channel Consultant, Web Strategy Project Manager, Senior Financial Analyst & more. What Employees Say: “HubSpot is a fast pace, challenging, and energetic place to work. The aspect I like best is that you get out of out HubSpot what you put into it. You are given autonomy regardless of your tenure which makes the rate of learning unmatchable.” —Current Customer Service Manager
(Photo by Dina Rudick/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)
20. Wizeline Company Rating: 4.8 Where Hiring: San Francisco, CA; Sydney, Australia & more. What Roles: Director of Security, Recruitment Coordinator, Pre-Sales Services Consultant, Mid-Level Software Engineer, Project Manager, Android Developer, Recruitment Analyst & more. What Employees Say: “The speed and flexibility is amazing! You can do here what would take months, if not years, at other companies. Incredibly smart, dedicated people all driving towards the common goals of Wizeline and it’s clients. You own your work, the results, and your rewards.” —Current Business Relationships Manager
Photographer: Hector Guerrero/Bloomberg via Getty Images
21. Solstice Company Rating: 4.5 Where Hiring: Chicago, IL; New York, NY; Buenos Aires & more. What Roles: Scrum Master, Developer, Sr. Digital Product Strategist, Senior UX Designer, HR Internship, Technical Recruiter, Quality Assurance Analyst, UI/UX Designer & more. What Employees Say: “What I love most is that people look out for one another – Solstice is built on feedback. We’ve truly taken agile to heart in that we look to ourselves to constantly improve and we have many things in place to help us improve. We look at ourselves critically and what we offer to each other that is most important, is honesty. We provide feedback to people twice a year (Q2 and Q4) through peer review, but also you have 2 opportunities for peer promotion outside of that (Q1 and Q3). That is certainly not normal and a huge opportunity for everyone working at Solstice to improve themselves and get chances for promotions and reviews.” —Current UX Principal
22. Clorox Company Rating: 4.2 Where Hiring: Oakland, CA; Durham, NC; Pleasanton, CA; Morrisville, NC & more. What Roles: VP of Human Resources, Global Insights Manager, Administrative Assistant, Sr. Supply Planner, Regulatory Affairs Specialist, Technician, Scientist, Indirect Buyer, Marketing Manager, Senior Accountant & more. What Employees Say: “Numerous opportunities for career development and personal growth, supportive employees demonstrating strong values, and diverse businesses with unique challenges everyday.” —Current Senior Finance Manager