5 ways to save on taxes in 2017

No matter how much money you have coming in, taxes are a burden and, frankly, a drag. If you're looking to lower your taxes this year, here are a few strategies you can employ.

1. Contribute to a retirement plan

Imagine being able to exclude $18,000 of your income from taxes. Max out your 401(k), and you'll get to do just that. The current limits allow workers under 50 to put up to $18,000 of pre-tax dollars into a 401(k), and if you're 50 or older, that limit increases to $24,000. Don't have access to a 401(k)? You can fund an IRA instead and reap a similar benefit. Workers under 50 get to contribute $5,500 a year, while those 50 and older are allowed to put in $6,500 -- and the more you stick in either type of account, the more of a tax break you'll get. As an example, if you're 40 years old with an effective tax rate of 25% and you max out your 401(k), you'll shave $4,500 off your taxes -- all for building your retirement nest egg.

2. Use pre-tax dollars to pay for your commuting and healthcare costs

Healthcare and commuting are unavoidable expenses for most of us, but if you use pre-tax dollars to pay for both, you'll snag some tax savings in the process. Current workers can contribute up to $2,600 a year to a flexible spending account (FSA), and if you expect to rack up that much in medical bills, it pays to max out. Just be careful not to overfund your FSA, because once that money is in your account, you need to either use it or forfeit your balance.

Furthermore, if you sign up for commuter benefits through your employer, you can use up to $255 pre-tax dollars per month to pay for transit, and another $255 per month to pay for parking. Best of all, you can double up on these two benefits, so if you currently spend $200 a month on a rail pass and $150 a month to park at the train station, you can pay for your entire commute with pre-tax money.

See the most tax-friendly states in America:

Most tax-friendly states in America
See Gallery
Most tax-friendly states in America

10. Delaware

(DenisTangneyJr via Getty Images)

9. Mississippi

(SeanPavonePhoto via Getty Images)

8. South Dakota.

(Getty Images)

7. Alabama


6. Louisiana


5. Arizona

(Dreamframer via Getty Images)

4. Nevada

(ddub3429 via Getty Images)

3. Florida

(TraceRouda via Getty Images)

2. Alaska

(yenwen via Getty Images)

1. Wyoming

(Putt Sakdhnagool via Getty Images)


3. Get a tax break for child care

The average American family spends over $10,000 a year on full-time day care, while the typical household that uses a full-time nanny spends almost three times as much. The good news, however, is that there are tax breaks available for those who pay for child care. First, if you sign up for a dependent care FSA, you can allocate up to $5,000 each year in pre-tax dollars to pay for child care costs. (If you're married but file separately, this benefit is slashed in half.) In addition, as long as you meet the criteria for eligibility, you can claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit and get a dollar-for-dollar reduction of your tax liability. Under this credit, lower earners can get up to $2,100 in tax benefits, while higher earners can snag up to $1,200.

4. Know your homeowner deductions

Though owning a home can be an expensive prospect, it could also shave thousands of dollars off your tax bill. Many homeowners benefit the most from the mortgage interest deduction, which allows you to write off the interest portion of your home loan payments provided you haven't borrowed more than $500,000 as a single tax filer, or $1 million as a couple filing jointly.

You're also allowed to deduct points on your mortgage as well as your property taxes, which, in some parts of the country, can well exceed what you pay in mortgage interest. Finally, if you're stuck paying private mortgage insurance (PMI) as a result of not having put 20% down on your home, you can deduct your monthly premiums as long as you don't earn too much money. The PMI deduction isn't available to single homeowners who earn more than $54,000, or $109,000 for couples.

5. Make a move

If you've been toying with the idea of moving elsewhere, pulling the trigger this year could lower your tax bill if you relocate in conjunction with getting a new job. If the distance between your old home and your new job is at least 50 miles greater than your previous commute, and if you work at that job for at least 39 out of 52 weeks following your move, you'll be eligible to deduct the costs associated with your relocation. These include hiring movers, transporting your belongings, and paying for storage.

We all want to keep more of our money away from the IRS. Follow these tips, and you could be well on your way to cutting that pesky tax bill.

The $16,122 Social Security bonus most retirees completely overlook
If you're like most Americans, you're a few years (or more) behind on your retirement savings. But a handful of little-known "Social Security secrets" could help ensure a boost in your retirement income. For example: one easy trick could pay you as much as $16,122 more... each year! Once you learn how to maximize your Social Security benefits, we think you could retire confidently with the peace of mind we're all after. Simply click here to discover how to learn more about these strategies.

The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

The 10 Most Overlooked Tax Deductions

Don't overpay taxes by overlooking these tax deductions. See the 10 most common deductions taxpayers miss on their tax returns so you can keep more money in your pocket.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

How to Find a Good CPA for Your Taxes

Finding a good CPA for your taxes is simple with these seven tips: 1. Ask about their specialization; 2. Verify their identification number, 3. Look up their license, 4. Consider their experience, 5. Confirm their willingness to sign, 6. Ask for advice, and 7. Determine their fees.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions

Self-employed taxpayers report their business income and expenses on Schedule C. TurboTax can help make the job easier.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

2018 Tax Reform Impact: What You Should Know

Congress has passed the largest piece of tax reform legislation in more than three decades. The bill went into place on January 1, 2018, which means that it will affect the taxes of most taxpayers for the 2018 tax year.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.