Budget Better: 6 items to avoid at Home Depot and Lowe's  

Big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's are ideal destinations for those big-ticket items you need in and around your home.

These home improvement meccas offer tons of unbeatable prices and seasonal deals. Marketwatch reports both Lowe's and Home Depot offer a price match guarantee that are "among the most competitive in the retail industry."

But sometimes, looking elsewhere for a greater variety of products or lower prices is your best bet when it comes to certain purchases. Competitors like Target, Ikea, Home Goods or Amazon.com carry similar items that may be a better deal or better quality.

For example, consumer experts recommend you steer clear of the cleaning aisle at these stores. Brand name cleaning supplies are typically marked up by 10 percent at Home Depot, so you'll often find a better deal at warehouse clubs with generic brand items.

Check out the full list of items experts recommend you avoid at Home Depot and Lowe's:

6 items to avoid at Home Depot and Lowe's
See Gallery
6 items to avoid at Home Depot and Lowe's

1. Cleaning supplies

Experts recommend steering clear of the cleaning supplies aisle. Brand name products will reportedly be marked up 5-10 percent at Home Depot and Lowe’s. Consider going to a warehouse store to find low-cost high-quality generic products instead.

2. Home decor

Stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s carry a limited selection of home decor items like rugs, furniture, picture frames and wall art. Plus, the more basic in-store products may be pricier. 

3. Small appliances

You’ll find better deals for small appliances like microwaves, toasters, coffee makers and blenders online or at competitors like Best Buy.

4. Grilling accessories

These are often priced higher for the convenience factor of buying with the new grill you just purchased. 

5. Batteries

Consider your local warehouse club for a better deal on batteries.

6. HDX Paper Towels

Money.com reports this item is low quality -- and consumers should stick to its higher quality counterparts like Bounty’s DuraTowel.   


Read Full Story

Can't get enough personal finance tips?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from consumer news to money tricks delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.