Retail expert reveals Black Friday shopping secrets
According to a recent holiday 2016 survey from RetailMeNot, half of consumers planning to spend part of their celebration weekend shopping. If you're planning to be part of the masses flooding stores on Friday or filling up your online cart to the brim on Amazon -- we have some insider information for you, thanks to our friend Sara Skirboll at RetailMeNot.
Sara revealed the top categories to splurge on during the shopping extravaganza -- and which to hold off on until January. Plus, she debunked some Black Friday myths that you won't want to miss.
Check out our ultimate Black Friday guide -- and get shopping!
Top retail categories
Top 5 retail categories by percentage off on Black Friday:
1. Office Supplies: 50 percent off
2. Computer/Electronics: 47 percent off
3. Sports & Fitness: 42 percent off
4. Clothing: 32 percent off
5. Gifts: 31 percent off
Top 5 retail categories by percentage off on Cyber Monday:
1.Computer/Electronics: 48 percent off
2. Designer Clothing: 43 percent off
3. Teen Clothing: 39 percent off
4. Books and News: 33 percent off
5. Home and Garden: 31 percent off
See the best-selling fitness items below on Amazon:
Best times to buy
1. It's worth splurging on Electronics in November and December, but you will find deeper discounts on big screen TVs and video games after the holiday in January.
2. You will find deals on beauty in November, especially the first two weeks, but you'll find deep discounts to help meet New Year's resolutions across fitness, wellness and beauty in January.
3. Wanting to revamp your home for the new year? Save on carpet & flooring, furniture and linens in January.
4. Don't always wait for the post-holiday sales to purchase winter apparel. The best time to buy is actually November and December.
5. You'll find some of the best deals on golf clubs and gear in December
See a list of the retailers open on Thanksgiving: