How to Amend Your Tax Return After You File It

Tax Hacks 2015: How Not to Blow Your Tax Refund

By Jim Gold

So you filed your federal income tax, and just when you thought it was safe to spend your refund, did Uncle Sam come calling again? Might be time to file an amended return.

That's what as many as 50,000 taxpayers who receive subsidies for health insurance premiums may face this year because they received bad information from the government. But they won't be alone if they amend their returns. About 5 million taxpayers filed amended returns last year, according to the Internal Revenue Service. We have tips to help you no matter why you want to amend your return.

Wounded Returns

About 800,000 customers were notified in February that a government goof gave them the wrong information on a new tax form called 1095-A. The form is much like a W-2 for people who got subsidized private coverage in 2014 under the Affordable Care Act. The blog asked customers who received bad information to wait to file their 2014 federal income taxes until they receive corrected forms in early March.

But that word went out too late for those 50,000 taxpayers who'd already filed with the bad information, the IRS said. The blog explained the mistake this way: "Most people received a correct Form 1095-A. However, if we contact you because your Form 1095-A is incorrect, here's why. Some forms included the monthly premium amount of the second lowest cost Silver plan for 2015 instead of 2014, which needs to be corrected. The incorrect amount is listed in Part III, Column B of the Form 1095-A. We're working quickly to resolve this and any other issues with the 1095-A forms. This does not mean that your tax credit was incorrect; this is purely an error in what was printed on the form."

That "second lowest cost" is the benchmark premium used to help determine individuals' subsidies, computed as tax credits, which is why they complicate tax returns. You enter the information from your 1095-A on Form 8962, which you file to determine your health premium credit, whether you got too much subsidy for monthly premium payments, which will injure your refund, or too little, which will strengthen it. The government mistake could have delayed tax refunds, which many people count on for a spring spending spree, savings spur or debt reducer.

What's Happening to Them

You can find out if your original 1095-A was wrong by logging into your account, where you would find a message if you were affected. You may also phone the federal Marketplace Call Center at 800-318-2596, the blog said.

However, the Treasury Department is giving these taxpayers a break. "Treasury estimates that approximately 50,000 tax filers (or less than 0.05% of total tax filers) already have filed their taxes using these incorrect form 1095As. We have concluded that these individuals do not need to file amended returns. The IRS will not pursue the collection of any additional taxes from these individuals based on updated information in the corrected forms."

So you don't have to file an amended return if doing so would result in your having to pay more. However, you may want to if the new, corrected information would result in a bigger refund. H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt and TurboTax say they will not charge customers to amend returns.

Amend or Not Amend?

Obamacare aside, there are many reasons taxpayers file amended returns. If you become one of them someday, the IRS offers these tips:
  • When to amend. File if your filing status, number of dependents, total income, tax deductions or tax credits were reported incorrectly or omitted. Also file if a bad debt or a security becomes worthless, to claim or change a foreign tax credit or deduction for foreign taxes, carry back your unused foreign tax credit, or to reduce a casualty loss deduction after receiving a hurricane-related grant.
  • When not to amend. Do not file an amended return if you make math errors, which the IRS will automatically change for you, or if you forget to attach tax forms, such as W-2s or schedules. The IRS normally will send a request asking for those.
  • Deadline. Generally, file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original tax return or within two years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X.
  • Paperwork. An amended return cannot be e-filed. You must file it on paper, but you can track it online later. If you are amending more than one tax return, prepare a 1040X for each return and mail them in separate envelopes. If your changes involve another schedule or form, you must attach that schedule or form to the amended return.
  • Timing. If you are claiming an additional refund, wait until you have received your original tax refund before filing Form 1040X. Amended returns take up to 12 weeks to process. You may cash your original refund check while waiting for the additional refund.
  • Pay now. If you owe additional taxes with Form 1040X, file it and pay the tax as soon as possible to minimize interest and penalties.
  • . You can track the status of your amended tax return three weeks after you file with the IRS' new tool, Where's My Amended Return? online or at 866-464-2050.
Like this article? Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you a regular digest of our newest stories, full of money saving tips and advice, free! We'll also email you a PDF of Stacy Johnson's "205 Ways to Save Money" as soon as you've subscribed. It's full of great tips that'll help you save a ton of extra cash.

What Is IRS Form 1099-Q?

If you're paying for school expenses from a 529 plan or a Coverdell ESA, you will likely receive an IRS Form 1099-Q, which reports the total withdrawals you made during the year.

Read More

Brought to you by

7 Requirements for the Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit can reduce your tax bill by as much as $1,000 per child, if you meet all seven requirements: 1. age, 2. relationship, 3. support, 4. dependent status, 5. citizenship, 6. length of residency and 7. family income. You and/or your child must pass all seven to claim this tax credit.

Read More

Brought to you by

Video: Can I E-File If I Owe Taxes?

Filing your tax return online can be extremely convenient. But did you know the IRS also allows you to make payments on taxes you owe from previous years? Watch this video to learn more about e-filing your taxes.

Read More

Brought to you by

Buying Your First Home

Buying your first home is a huge step, but tax deductions available to you as a homeowner can reduce your tax bill.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.