Friends With (Tax) Benefits: Can You Take a $3,950 Credit?

What Are Tax Exemptions? Claiming a Dependent

Many taxpayers pride themselves on being creative with their ideas on paying less to the Internal Revenue Service, and one enterprising tax break is available to those who can claim someone who shares their home as a dependent on their tax return. For every dependent you're eligible to take, you can write off $3,950 of taxable income, which many people can use to reduce their tax bill by anywhere from about $400 to more than $1,500. So whether you live with your boyfriend or girlfriend or just have a roommate you help out financially, let's take a look at whether you can turn the person you live with into extra money in your pocket.

How the IRS Defines Dependents

Regardless of your opinions about whether the person you live with is dependent on you, the IRS has very strict guidelines that determine whether you're entitled to take the dependent exemption. Specifically, they have to meet the definition of either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative. Although that sounds like it rules out anyone who's not related to you, it actually is more inclusive than it sounds.

Most roommate situations won't involve a qualifying child. In order to qualify, the person needs to be your child, stepchild, foster child, sibling, stepsibling or a descendant of them, like a grandchild or niece or nephew. The person must also be younger than 19 or a student and younger than 24, live with you for more than half the year and provide less than half of his or her own financial support during the year.

The more common test for roommates and unmarried people in relationships is the qualifying relative test. To qualify, the person you live with can't be the qualifying child of anyone else. The person has to live with you as a member of your household for the entire year, unless the person is a relative by blood or marriage. You have to provide more than half of the person's total financial support for the year, and the person can't have gross income of $3,950 or more.

In addition to these conditions, you also have to meet some other tests. You're generally not allowed to claim someone as a dependent who isn't a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national or a resident of Canada or Mexico. In addition, if the person is married, you can't claim a dependent exemption unless they file a separate return or file jointly only to claim a refund of taxes withheld from their paycheck or in estimated tax payments.

Do You Qualify?

Obviously, there are many ways you can fail these tests. If a boyfriend is still a dependent on his parents' return, then you won't be able to claim him as your own dependent. If a girlfriend has her own place and doesn't live with you all the time, she won't meet the requirements, either. And with such a low income requirement, many prospective dependents will end up earning too much to qualify even if they only have a part-time job -- or they might cover just enough of their expenses to keep you from meeting the more-than-50-percent-support test.

Still, if you qualify, then it's perfectly legal to claim someone you live with as a dependent. In order to satisfy the IRS if you get audited, though, you'll want to make sure you hold on to all available documentation to support your claim. Otherwise, you could find yourself with an even bigger problem on your hands. Nevertheless, you shouldn't hesitate to claim a dependent exemption if you're allowed to. After all, if you've provided financial support for someone all year long, it's the least they can do to repay you.

Motley Fool contributor Dan Caplinger got his biggest tax break when he got married. You can follow him on Twitter @DanCaplinger or on Google Plus. To read about our favorite high-yielding dividend stocks for any investor, check out our free report.​

Guide to Unemployment and Taxes

The IRS considers unemployment compensation to be taxable income—which you must report on your federal tax return. State unemployment divisions issue an IRS Form 1099-G to each individual who receives unemployment benefits during the year.

Read More

Brought to you by

10 Tax Tips for Filing an Amended Return

Say you happily filed your tax return by the end of February and were the envy of all your friends, but in June you realized you forgot to include income from last summer's freelance job. Don’t worry, all you need to do is file an amended return using Form 1040X.

Read More

Brought to you by

Can I Redo My Taxes and Should I?

Congress sets the laws that change the current and future regulations around taxes. But some of these changes can also retroactively affect taxes from previous filings. You might be wondering, "Does that mean I can redo my taxes and save more?" We'll dive into that question and the answer below.

Read More

Brought to you by

Are My State Tax Deadlines Extended Due to the Coronavirus?

The IRS delayed many of the filing and payment deadlines for the 2019 federal tax year due to the coronavirus pandemic. States don't have to follow the IRS's lead but many have. Find out if your state tax deadlines are also extended.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.