Mind Your B's, G's and Q's: Some 1099 Forms Can Trick You

Beware: Some 1099 Tax Forms Can Trick You

By Kevin McCormally

Part of the blizzard of paperwork taxpayers have to deal with each year is the family of 1099 forms.

The 1099-INT reports taxable interest to you and to the IRS; the 1099-DIV reports taxable dividends; the 1099-R reports taxable retirement income from an IRA, maybe, or a pension plan; the 1099-MISC, freelance or consulting income. But not all dollars reported on 1099s should show up on your 1040 form as taxable income.

Take the 1099-G. It's used to report payments from a government, including any state tax refund you received the previous year. Sure, some taxpayers have to pay tax on what they got back. But, in fact, most of us don't. For the 70 percent or so of taxpayers who claimed the standard deduction last year, that state refund shown on the 1099 is 100 percent tax free. Even if you itemized, part of the refund can be tax-free. There's an easy worksheet in the instruction packet. TRun through it to protect yourself against an expensive mistake.

The 1099-Q is another potentially misleading form. It reports distributions from a state college saving plan or Coverdell education savings account. But, again, the odds are very, very good that the payout is completely tax-free. That's the case if the money was used to pay tuition or other qualifying costs. Tax is due only if you used the money for other purposes, and then tax is due only on earnings, not on the part that represents a return of contributions. Read the instructions carefully before you pay tax on any part of a 1099-Q distribution.

Reported by Your Brokers

And then there's the 1099-B that brokers send out. This 1099 might actually open the door to a tax-saving loss. This form reports the proceeds of the sale of a stock, mutual fund shares or other assets.

But the full amount is never taxable. You get to subtract your basis -- that's generally what you paid for the asset. If that's more than the proceeds, you have a loss that will offset other taxable income and reduce your tax bill. Sometimes, the 1099-B shows your basis in the asset that was sold; sometimes it doesn't. But in any case, make sure you subtract your basis from the proceeds, so you report only the real profit or real loss on your tax return.

Learn about other costly mistakes made by taxpayers to ensure that you pay as little in taxes as the law allows.

What Is IRS Form 1099-Q?

If you're paying for school expenses from a 529 plan or a Coverdell ESA, you will likely receive an IRS Form 1099-Q, which reports the total withdrawals you made during the year.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

7 Requirements for the Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit can reduce your tax bill by as much as $1,000 per child, if you meet all seven requirements: 1. age, 2. relationship, 3. support, 4. dependent status, 5. citizenship, 6. length of residency and 7. family income. You and/or your child must pass all seven to claim this tax credit.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Video: Can I E-File If I Owe Taxes?

Filing your tax return online can be extremely convenient. But did you know the IRS also allows you to make payments on taxes you owe from previous years? Watch this video to learn more about e-filing your taxes.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Buying Your First Home

Buying your first home is a huge step, but tax deductions available to you as a homeowner can reduce your tax bill.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com
Read Full Story

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.