Do You Need a Tax Preparer? Here's How to Find the Best

Tax Hacks 2015: Tips to Find the Best Tax Pro

By Maryalene LaPonsie

According to Accounting Web, 80 million Americans pay a tax preparer each year. And while the Internal Revenue Service began to register those preparers in 2010 and had plans to implement competency testing and continuing education requirements, a 2014 court case ruled the agency didn't have the legal authority to do so.

That means the current tax preparation landscape is something like the wild, wild West. Virtually anyone can slap on the label of "tax preparer" and set up business, regardless of whether they have any training in tax laws. To help you avoid being taken for a ride by an inexperienced or incompetent tax preparer, Money Talks News finance expert Stacy Johnson spoke with Tom Sawyer, a certified public accountant with Sawyer & Latimer PA in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

1. Look for Free Tax Preparation Services

Before you even think about paying someone for tax preparation services, see if you're entitled to it for free. There are two IRS-sponsored free tax preparation programs: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance or VITA, and Tax Counseling for the Elderly. These programs give eligible individuals free tax preparation assistance from trained volunteers. The VITA program is open to these groups:
  • Individuals with incomes of $53,000 or less.
  • People with disabilities.
  • Elderly individuals.
  • Those with limited English-speaking ability.
The TCE program is aimed at those age 60 and older, although people of any age may be able to receive guidance from program volunteers. You can search for VITA and TCE sites in your area by visiting the IRS website. Also see: "8 Ways to Get Free Help Preparing Your Taxes" for details.

2. Consider Using Software

If you're not eligible for free in-person tax preparation services, the next best thing may be to use a tax prep software program.

Depending on your income, you may be able to use software for free through the Free File program. If your adjusted gross income is $60,000 or less, head to the IRS Free File site to find software providers that will let you prepare and file your taxes for free using their programs. Make more than that? The IRS offers free electronic forms for everyone.

But even if you're not eligible to file a free tax return, you may still want to use software to prepare your own forms. Remember, most preparers are simply entering your information into a software program of their own. Rather than pay hundreds to someone else, you could spend a lot less and use a program offered by TurboTax (INTU), TaxAct or H&R Block (HRB), among others, to do it yourself.

That said, there is still an argument to be made for paying a professional tax preparer. As Sawyer tells Johnson in the video above, software isn't necessarily going to ask probing questions to ensure your return is as complete and correct as possible.

3. Interview Several Preparers

Let's assume you're not eligible for free tax prep assistance and you've decided not to go the DIY route. It could be you have a complex tax situation, or you're simply more comfortable with a human touch. You start finding the right pro by not stopping at the first preparer you come across. Tax preparers come with various backgrounds, personalities and education. Try to talk to at least three preparers before settling on the one who seems right for you.

4. Check for a PTIN and Continuing Education

While the courts did take the wind out of the IRS plans to test tax preparers, the agency still registers them. On the government website, the IRS says that everyone who gets paid to file someone else's taxes should have a preparer tax identification number. That doesn't mean much because there are no education requirements or competency testing to go along with that number. In other words, while you want to make sure your preparer is properly registered with the government, don't stop there.

You should also ask how they keep up on annual changes to the tax code. Your tax preparer doesn't necessarily need a degree, but if the extent of their experience is filing returns for Cousin Jimmy the last two years, I suggest you keep looking.

5. Look for Bad Reviews and Disciplinary Action

Along with your interviews, head online to check up on potential preparers as well. In some cases, a simple search of the preparer's name may be enough to bring up reviews. For others, you may have to dig a little deeper. Websites to try include the following: Also, if a preparer has a professional license or credential, check with your state licensing board to see if they have been subject to any disciplinary action. For preparers who are enrolled agents, you can also check with the IRS to verify their status.

6. Ask About E-Filing

Although there is nothing wrong with filing via snail mail, look for someone who will file electronically. Doing so will significantly reduce the amount of time you have to wait for your refund to arrive. It may also eliminate the potential for delivery problems or misdirected paperwork. The IRS requires paid tax preparers who file more than 10 returns on behalf of clients each year to e-file their forms.

7. Find Out What Happens If There's an Audit

Finally, you want to pick a tax pro who isn't going to be MIA in the event you get tagged for an audit. Not all tax preparers can represent you in front of the IRS. Be sure to find out what, if any, services your preparer is willing and able to provide.

Even if you don't get audited, you don't want a preparer who is going to file away their paperwork and hang the "gone fishing" sign April 16. Make sure your preparer will be available to answer questions and provide guidance even after the filing deadline has come and gone.

Tax Aspects of Home Ownership: Selling a Home

Though most home-sale profit is now tax-free, there are still steps you can take to maximize the tax benefits of selling your home. Learn how to figure your gain, factoring in your basis, home improvements and more.

Read More

Brought to you by

Estimated Taxes: How to Determine What to Pay and When

We'll make it easy for you to figure out if you have to pay estimated taxes and if so, how much.

Read More

Brought to you by

How to File Taxes with IRS Form 1099-MISC

If you receive tax form 1099-MISC for services you provide to a client as an independent contractor and the annual payments you receive total $400 or more, you'll need to file your taxes a little differently than a taxpayer who only receives regular employment income reported on a W-2.

Read More

Brought to you by

States with the Highest and Lowest Taxes

Where you live can help or hinder your ability to make ends meet. A myriad of taxes—property, license, state and local sales, property, inheritance, estate and excise taxes on gasoline—eat away at your disposable income. Weighing the tax landscape against your financial picture lets you stretch your dollars.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.