How to Appeal Your Property Taxes in 3 Quick Steps

How to Appeal Property Taxes

By Sandra Block

Home values are up, and that may mean your property taxes have gone up, too. But what if you believe they're too high? You may have grounds for an appeal, and in most cases, you can do it yourself.
  1. Look for errors that could be unfairly inflating the value of your home. Ask your local assessor's office for a property record card, which lists the factors used to come up with your assessment. This information may be available online. Fixing obvious mistakes such as incorrect square footage or the wrong number of bathrooms could lower your property value.
  2. Check out tax bills for similar properties in your neighborhood. This is public information and may also be available online. Compare your home with others in your tax classification, which usually lumps together homes of similar size and age. If your assessment is much higher than the assessment for other homes in your group, you could have a good shot at an appeal.
  3. Make sure you've been given all of the tax breaks you deserve. Most states offer exemptions, lower tax rates or reduced assessment ratios for certain taxpayers, such as primary homeowners, senior citizens or veterans. Check your state's tax department site for more information. You can also find more information on appealing a property tax bill at, the site for the National Taxpayers Union.

What is Employer Sponsored Coverage?

The term "employer-sponsored coverage" refers to health insurance obtained through an employer—the most common way Americans get insurance. Employer-sponsored coverage includes not only insurance for current employees and their families, but can also include retired employees. Further, federal law gives former employees the right to stay on their employer's health insurance, at their own expense, for a time after leaving a job. That, too, is employer-sponsored coverage.

Read More

Brought to you by

Getting Divorced

If you're going through a divorce, taxes may be the last thing on your mind, so we're here to help. We've got tips for you on which filing status to choose after the divorce, who can claim the exemptions for the kids, and how payments to an ex-spouse are treated for tax purposes.

Read More

Brought to you by

5 Tax Tips for Single Parents

Filing taxes as a single parent requires coordination between you and your ex-spouse or partner. Usually the custodial parent claims the child as a dependent, but there are exceptions. A single parent is allowed to claim applicable deductions and exemptions for each qualifying child. Even though you claim your child as a dependent, she may still have to file her own tax return if she has income, such as from an after-school job.

Read More

Brought to you by

7 Requirements for the Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit can reduce your tax bill by as much as $1,000 per child, if you meet all seven requirements: 1. age, 2. relationship, 3. support, 4. dependent status, 5. citizenship, 6. length of residency and 7. family income. You and/or your child must pass all seven to claim this tax credit.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.