Which Is Better: A Tax Credit or a Tax Deduction?

Pop Quiz: Taxes

By Maryalene LaPonsie

Money Talks News finance expert Stacy Johnson has already been thinking about taxes, so he went to Times Square to see how well average people understand tax time basics. How well do you think you can do on this quick quiz?

You miss the April 15 filing deadline. The government is going to fine you beaucoup bucks, right?

Maybe not. The government does assess both failure-to-file and failure-to-pay penalties, and those aren't cheap. The failure-to-file penalty is 5 percent of your unpaid taxes each month, and it begins accruing April 16. The failure-to-pay penalty isn't quite so hefty, coming in at 0.5 percent of your unpaid taxes. You can read more about the penalties on this IRS tax tip sheet.

However, the failure-to-file penalty applies only to tax returns on which you owe money. If you're due a refund, there's no penalty for late filing. However, the IRS says you don't want to wait too long, or you could lose your refund entirely. Here's what the agency says on its website: "There is no penalty for failure to file if you are due a refund. But, if you wait to file a return or otherwise claim a refund, you risk losing a refund altogether. An original return claiming a refund must be filed within three years of its due date for a refund to be allowed in most instances."

Which is better: A tax credit or a tax deduction?

A tax credit wins every time. The reason is simple. A tax deduction lowers your taxable income, while a tax credit lowers your tax bill dollar for dollar.

Here's an example, with rounded numbers for simplicity. Let's say you have a $50,000 income and fall into the 25 percent tax bracket. A $1,000 tax deduction reduces your taxable income to $49,000, which would drop your tax bill by $250. However, if you were to have a $1,000 tax credit, your tax bill would be reduced by $1,000. You come out $750 ahead with a tax credit.

Tax credits come in two types: refundable and nonrefundable. Let's say you owe $500 in taxes and have a $1,000 nonrefundable tax credit. In that case, your $500 tax bill would be wiped out and that would be the end of the story. But if you have a $1,000 refundable tax credit, your tax bill would be wiped out, plus you would get $500 back from the government. This IRS page has more on credits and deductions.

True or false? Someone with a multimillion-dollar income can have a lower tax rate than someone earning $100,000.

Oh, you knew this one was true, right? The Internet is full of articles about how the super rich manage to lower their effective tax rate to less than what more average Americans might pay.

While every situation is different, a major reason for the lower tax rate among the wealthy could be how they earn their money. Rather than going to a 9-to-5 job and pulling down a salary, the top income earners may be bringing in their money from the sale of stocks and other assets. Money from those sources, known as capital gains, is taxed at a flat 20 percent for the highest earners. (It can be lower for other folks.) This IRS publication explains more.

Do you need an accountant to get your taxes done right?

Nah, you'll probably be fine on your own. Today's tax preparation software makes it easy to complete your own tax return even if you're self-employed or have cashed in some investments. Personally, I'm a fan of TurboTax, but you have plenty of options from which to choose. If your income is below $60,000, you can even use some programs to file your taxes for free. The IRS Free File site has links to participating software providers.

Of course, tax professionals have their place. If you own a business or have a complicated tax situation, using a pro can be money well spent. If you're not sure whether you need a tax preparer, remember that many online tax prep sites will let you prepare your return at no cost and charge you only when you file. You can try these sites first, and if you find yourself confused or the numbers don't seem to add up, you can easily shift to an offline preparer without paying a dime to the website.

Video: Can I E-File If I Owe Taxes?

Filing your tax return online can be extremely convenient. But did you know the IRS also allows you to make payments on taxes you owe from previous years? Watch this video to learn more about e-filing your taxes.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

What is a W-2 Form?

A W-2 tax form shows the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck for the year and is used to file your federal and state taxes. Here are the basics.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Tax Tips for Uber, Lyft, Sidecar and other Car Sharing Drivers

When you're a driver for a ride-sharing company such as Uber, Lyft, Sidecar, or other car sharing service, the most important thing to understand about your taxes is that you are probably not an employee of Uber, Lyft or Sidecar. Drivers for these companies are usually independent contractors, a fact that has tax implications, both at filing time and year-round.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com

Should You and Your Spouse File Taxes Jointly or Separately?

Married couples have the option to file jointly or separately on their federal income tax returns. The IRS strongly encourages most couples to file joint tax returns by extending several tax breaks to those who file together. In the vast majority of cases, it's best for married couples to file jointly, but there may be a few instances when it's better to submit separate returns.

Read More

Brought to you by TurboTax.com
Read Full Story

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.