Texas Meatpacker Recalls Beef Products for Possible E.coli

Food and Farm Local Beef
Jessica Hill/AP
By Theopolis Waters

CHICAGO -- A Texas meat processing plant has recalled 23,100 pounds of beef trimmings products for possible contamination with E.coli bacteria, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service said late Thursday.

USDA said Caviness Beef Packers in Hereford, Texas is recalling the 23,100 pounds of beef trimmings products with potential E.coli.

Caviness' beef trimmings were shipped to fast food restaurants and retail distribution locations in Texas. FSIS and the company are concerned that some product may be frozen and in consumers' freezers.

The product was made Aug. 14 to Aug. 20 bearing the establishment number "EST. 675" inside the USDA mark of inspection.

A routine food safety check uncovered the problem.

The trimmings subject to recall are lots that tested negative, but produced consecutive to the positive lots and were subsequently processed into raw ground products and distributed to retailers, the USDA said.

The questionable beef trimmings were sent to establishments for further processing and will likely not bear the establishment number "EST.675" on products available for direct consumer purchase.

Beef trimmings are used in the manufacturing of ground beef. The U.S. for the week ending Sept. 20 produced 465.4 million pounds of beef, based on USDA data.

7 Dangerous Recalled Products You Might Have in Your Home
See Gallery
Texas Meatpacker Recalls Beef Products for Possible E.coli
These devices keep basements from getting musty and help prevent it getting too clammy in your home on a summer's day. But many of them can cause fires. More than 2.5 million dehumidifiers (all made in China by Gree Electric Applicances) were recalled in 2013 and 2014 because they can start fires: Danby, DéLonghi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, GE (GE), Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, SoleusAir and SuperClima. Some 500 incidents involving these humidifiers overheating have been reported, including more than 100 that started fires. The humidifiers should not be used. Gree is arranging for refunds ($110 to $400) for anyone who bought one.
This reclined infant seat, designed for babies to sleep in, has been connected to at least six deaths by government investigators. Dozens more incidents also were attributed to the product made by the now-defunct Baby Matters. Consumers who have Nap Nanny products are urged to stop using them. A handful of retailers, including Toys R Us and Amazon.com (AMZN), offered refunds to their customers.
After a recall of hundreds of thousands of chenille robes sold by catalog retailer Blair over concerns about their flammability, the CPSC learned that at least nine women had died wearing robes that had ignited. The recall has been re-announced several times, a tactic typically taken when consumer response has been determined to be sub-par for the hazard.
About a million  strollers sold from 1999 to 2009 were recalled after the company and the CPSC began receiving reports of children's fingertips being chopped off by exposed hinges. The company provided a free repair kit.
More than 2 million of these magnetic toys were sold. Dozens of kids required medical treatment after swallowing the balls. The high-powered magnets can twist inside the intestines of anyone who swallows them, posing a risk of death or serious injury. Initially, the company, Maxfield & Oberton, refused to participate in the recall and rebranded the toy for adults. The government sued, and the company has since settled and is offering refunds.
Some recalled products are particularly problematic because they are so durable. Perhaps none have posed such as long-term hazard as the Lane cedar chest. In 1996,  Lane recalled 12 million chests, made between 1912 and 1987, after at least a half-dozen children died from suffocation after being trapped inside the chests. More deaths were reported since the recall, including two more this year. Lane offers a free replacement lock that prevents entrapments.
More than a dozen babies died in Simplicity cribs and bassinetsMillions were sold through 2010, marketed under reputable brands. But the now-defunct company was found to have turned a blind eye toward safety, making its cribs so poorly that they often exposed babies to risks of strangulation and suffocation.
Read Full Story