Why Forest Oil Corporation's Shares Plunged Late Today

Although we don't believe in timing the market or panicking over market movements, we do like to keep an eye on big changes -- just in case they're material to our investing thesis.

What: Shares of Forest Oil Corporation fell 18% late today after its buyout came into question.

So what: Sabine Oil & Gas had previously announced a merger with Forest Oil that would have Sabine holders owning 73.5% of the new company and Forest Oil shareholders owning the remaining 26.5%. But Bloomberg is reporting that a $850 million loan was pulled by Sabine, money that was intended to repay Forest Oil borrowings when the merger went through.  

Now what: We need to keep in mind that this is an early report and nothing is final yet. But it's worth keeping an eye on because the proposed deal has held shares up recently. I don't think it's worth panicking yet, but if Sabine backs away from the buyout, shares could fall below $2, where they were before the merger was announced. For now, investors shouldn't change their investment thesis but evaluate Forest Oil as a standalone company, not just a buyout target.

Do you know this energy tax "loophole"?
You already know record oil and natural gas production is changing the lives of millions of Americans. But what you probably haven't heard is that the IRS is encouraging investors to support our growing energy renaissance, offering you a tax loophole to invest in some of America's greatest energy companies. Take advantage of this profitable opportunity by grabbing your brand-new special report, "The IRS Is Daring You to Make This Investment Now!," and you'll learn about the simple strategy to take advantage of a little-known IRS rule. Don't miss out on advice that could help you cut taxes for decades to come. Click here to learn more.

The article Why Forest Oil Corporation's Shares Plunged Late Today originally appeared on Fool.com.

Travis Hoium and The Motley Fool have no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools don't all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Copyright © 1995 - 2014 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Read Full Story