Who's to Blame for Retina iPad Mini Constraints?

Apple launches its brand-new iPad Air on Friday, but plenty of consumers are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the iPad Mini with Retina display. The smaller tablet might be hard to come by this holiday shopping season, but starting Friday The Motley Fool will be hosting a contest to win a free iPad Mini with Retina display! Make sure to check back on Friday to find out how you can win!

Apple  already knows that it's going to have a hard time keeping up with demand this quarter for the iPad Mini with Retina display. Reports have been circulating for months about expected supply constraints, and Apple implicitly confirmed them by saying the device would only be available "later in November." Investors now have another possible nugget of truth, as DIGITIMES is reporting that Sharp is the culprit, which is expected to be supplying 40% of Apple's 7.9-inch Retina panels. LG Display should be responsible for the remaining 60%. LG Display and Sharp use different manufacturing procedures, and Sharp's production remains plagued by low yields. 

As with all rumors, investors should consider this report with a grain of salt. In the broader picture of what investors have been hearing about supply constraints for Apple's new small-sized tablet, the rumors have some legs. That could present some challenges this quarter, as the iPad Mini with Retina display would be bound to be a popular stocking-stuffer -- if consumers can get their hands on them.

In this segment of Tech Teardown, Erin Kennedy discusses Apple's new Retina iPad Mini with Evan Niu, CFA, our tech and telecom bureau chief.

It's not all about iPads
Apple has a history of cranking out revolutionary products... and then creatively destroying them with something better. Read about the future of Apple in the free report, "Apple Will Destroy Its Greatest Product." Can Apple really disrupt its own iPhones and iPads? Find out by clicking here.

The article Who's to Blame for Retina iPad Mini Constraints? originally appeared on Fool.com.

Erin Kennedy owns shares of Apple. Evan Niu, CFA, owns shares of Apple. The Motley Fool recommends Apple. The Motley Fool owns shares of Apple. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Read Full Story