Gaming Industry News: Extraordinary Business Opportunity Including All Intellectual Property Rights
Gaming Industry News: Extraordinary Business Opportunity Including All Intellectual Property Rights of 38 Studios and Big Huge Games to Be Auctioned by Heritage Global Partners on Behalf of Richard J. Land, Receiver
SAN DIEGO & PROVIDENCE, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Heritage Global Partners ("HGP"), a global leader in asset advisory and auction services and a subsidiary of Heritage Global Inc. (OTCQB: HGBL), today announced that they have been retained by Richard J. Land, the Court-Appointed Receiver for the assets of 38 Studios, LLC, 38 Studios Baltimore, LLC, Mercury Project, LLC and Precision Jobs, LLC, to oversee the Receivership (Rhode Island Superior Court Case Nos. P.B. 12-4095, P.B. 12-4096, P.B. 12-4097, P.B. 12-4098) sale of all video game and video game related intellectual property rights owned by Rhode Island-based 38 Studios, which was founded by Major League Baseball pitcher Curt Schilling in 2006. Assets to be offered include:
- Intellectual property rights in the "Amalur" fantasy universe including:
- "Project Copernicus" an in development Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) including a 10,000 year world history, completed character "races" and playable "zones"
- Sequel rights to the critically acclaimed "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning," including development concepts, game artwork and designs.
- Merchandise rights and revenue streams associated with the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC title "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning"
- Intellectual property rights in Big Huge Games' properties including the classic PC strategy title "Rise of Nations" as well as "Rise of Legends" and the Xbox Live Arcade title "Catan"
- In house developed video game technology including the "Big Huge Games Engine" and 38 Studios' gaming, social media and development platform codenamed "Helios"
38 Studios Auction - online auction sale led by Heritage Global Partners
Date: November 13-14, 2013 (begins 9 am ET- ends 12 pm ET on 11.14)
Nick Jimenez, Executive Vice President of Heritage Global Partners stated, "This is a unique, unprecedented opportunity for video game developers to acquire the intellectual property for commercially viable video games both completed and in-progress. The staged development of Project Copernicus presents a real opportunity for a buyer to release and monetize installments of the game in a brief timeframe. State-of-the-art game technology developed by 38 Studios and Big Huge Games will also be available, including the Helios Platform IP and Development Tools, and the "Big Huge Engine" game engine. Video games are a global phenomenon and a tremendous amount of development work goes into their production. We expect significant interest in our upcoming mid-November sale to come from all over the world."
Led by auction industry pioneers Ross and Kirk Dove, Heritage Global Partners is one of the leading worldwide asset advisory and auction services firms, assisting companies with buying and selling assets. HGP specializes in asset brokerage, inspection, and valuations, industrial equipment and real estate auctions, and much more. HGP is a subsidiary of Heritage Global Inc.
KEYWORDS: United States North America California Rhode Island
The article Gaming Industry News: Extraordinary Business Opportunity Including All Intellectual Property Rights of 38 Studios and Big Huge Games to Be Auctioned by Heritage Global Partners on Behalf of Richard J. Land, Receiver originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.