Dell Software Extends Virtualization Operations Management Suite to Further Enable Data Center Effic
Dell Software Extends Virtualization Operations Management Suite to Further Enable Data Center Efficiency and Cost Reductions
- Accelerates IT and helps cuts operational costs by reducing infrastructure complexity with end-to-end visibility and best practice advice built on years of virtualization management experience
- Enables effective, rapid implementation of virtualization and cloud computing initiatives with the insight required to optimize configuration management, resource utilization and storage
ROUND ROCK, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Dell Softwaretoday announced the next generation of its virtualization operations management suite. The suite is comprised of a trio of solutions that help businesses of all sizes streamline virtualization, storage and cloud computing initiatives. The new releases include Foglight™ for Virtualization, Enterprise and Standard Editions 7.0 and Foglight™ for Storage Management 3.0. These releases address a number of data center transformation challenges - from optimizing performance and efficiency in your virtual environment to solving end-to-end storage and virtualization challenges in complex and cloud based systems.
- Foglight™ for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition 7.0 provides end-to-end performance monitoring and operations management for heterogeneous virtual environments to help reduce operational costs, speed deployments and simplify the complexity of the data center virtual and physical infrastructure. This comprehensive solution also includes deep integration with storage, Microsoft Active Directory, and Microsoft Exchange modules to provide performance analysis and advice across data center infrastructure. New optimization functionality allows I&O administrators to significantly increase consolidation ratios with improved visibility and analytics geared toward right-sizing CPU, memory, and storage, and effectively manages virtual machine (VM) sprawl by reclaiming resources through new optimization insight into such waste as powered off VMs, Zombie VMs, abandoned images, and unused templates and snapshots. Additional enhancements include:
- VMware vCloud Director support formonitoring and optimizing private cloud implementation
- VMware View support for end-to-end visibility into performance of the virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), including users and sessions
- vSphere 5.5 support includingall generally available VMware platforms
- Foglight™ for Storage Management 3.0 helps to ensure the right storage configuration to optimize virtual infrastructure performance and availability. It provides virtualization managers with complete visibility into the underlying physical storage infrastructure that lies beneath the virtual datastores, enabling them to immediately identify hosts, VMs, and datastores experiencing performance problems caused by underlying physical host, fabric and storage components and tips to fix the issues. Foglight for Storage Management gathers extensive performance metrics and presents this data within a rich graphical interface incorporating architectural diagrams, graphs, alerts, and drill-down screens for fast and easy identification of virtual and physical storage problems. New feature functionality provides:
- Pool level analysis to track remaining capacity and over-commitment for thin provisioning
- Performance analyzer to provide one-click performance troubleshooting visibility from VM to array to sub-array level in a single dashboard
- Additional device support for Dell Compellent, Dell EqualLogic, and EMC VMAX
- Foglight™ for Virtualization, Standard Edition 7.0is specifically designed for the small-to-medium size environment, with a focus on ease of use and quick time to value. It provides administrators insight into virtual environment performance and automated resource optimization, capacity planning, chargeback and showback, and change analysis and compliance. New capacity management and planning functionality helps to drive data center sustainability and reduce power consumption to decrease operating costs and capital expenditures, while improving workload performance. It does this by analyzing existing VM workload requirements against the entire environment and identifying the minimum number of host servers required over time to safely support workloads. Additional new enhancements include:
- Enhanced User Interface for a more intuitive approach to capacity management and planning
- New Capacity Planning Features to prepare for host server refresh, upgrade, or expansion projects by finding the optimum configurations and minimum number of new or existing host servers to maximize VM performance while minimizing server cost, space, and power needs
- New Power Minimization Feature to reduce costs by determining the minimum number of host servers needed over time to safely run workloads, and estimating potential cost savings by powering down unneeded servers
- New Optimization toautomaticallyadjust virtual machine disk sizes up or down, based on actual use
John Maxwell, executive director, product management, Dell Software
"As Infrastructure and Operations professionals are faced with increased expectations to deliver business value, they are expected to not only reduce the total cost of the data center, but also drive agility, quickly deploy new applications, and deliver the highest level of performance. This 'deliver more with less' conundrum is about having the ability to quickly and agilely scale the capacity of the data center up or down as business requirements change at the lowest possible cost. Dell Software's virtualization operations management suite helps simplify the complexity of today's modern data centers to help I&O professionals deliver on these top priorities, resolve problems before they affect business-critical applications, and ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction."
Pricing and Availability:
- Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition 7.0 remains priced at $799 per physical socket in managed servers, and is available for download from the Dell Software website. It is expected to be generally available on August 31.
- Foglight for Storage Management 3.0 remains priced at $499 per socket, and is available for download from the Dell Software website. It is expected to be generally available on August 31.
- Foglight for Virtualization, Standard Edition 7.0 operates as a standalone tool, or can easily integrate with Dell Software's Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition software. Priced at $399 per physical socket in managed servers, and available for download from the Dell Software website, it is expected to be generally available on August 31.
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dellsoftware
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dellsoftware
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Dell-Software-4793472
- Dell Software YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/DellSoftwareVideo
About Dell Software
Dell Software helps customers unlock greater potential through the power of technology—delivering scalable, affordable and simple-to-use solutions that simplify IT and mitigate risk. The Dell Software portfolio addresses five key areas of customer needs: data center and cloud management, information management, mobile workforce management, security and data protection. This software, when combined with Dell hardware and services, drives unmatched efficiency and productivity to accelerate business results.
Dell is a trademark of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
KEYWORDS: United States North America Texas
The article Dell Software Extends Virtualization Operations Management Suite to Further Enable Data Center Efficiency and Cost Reductions originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.