The Western Union Foundation Continues to Support Global Education Initiatives with Second Quarter G
The Western Union Foundation Continues to Support Global Education Initiatives with Second Quarter Grants of US$1.7 Million
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Western Union Foundation today announced its second quarter 2013 grant commitment of US$1.7 million, which will be distributed across more than 20 nonprofit, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) around the world. To date in 2013, the Western Union Foundation has announced grants totaling more than US$2.9 million.
The grants are designed to help increase access to - and improve the quality of - education programs in multiple regions. The grant cycle provides further support for the Western Union Education for Better program, which is a three-year commitment to growing young minds through strategic grants that focus on secondary education and vocational training.
"We are actively supporting NGOs that are committed to expanding educational opportunities for global communities," said Patrick Gaston, president of the Western Union Foundation. "Education for Betteris a long-term program that not only includes grant making, but also consists of collaborations with Western Union Agents to make a tangible impact on the communities and customers we serve. To date, many Western Union Agents have joined in the Education for Betterprogram, with the Western Union Foundation matching Agent grants to support educational programs around the world."
NGOs receiving a grant as part of the Western Union Foundation second quarter 2013 cycle include:
- Africa: The Daniel Ogechi Akujobi Memorial Foundation (DOAMF) in Nigeria will receive support for the "Project Read to Succeed" program, which provides libraries for public schools in the country.
- Asia Pacific: ThePlaneterra Foundation will receive a grant to assist the New Delhi Streetkids Project and the Women's Vocational Training Café program in India. These programs provide education, job training and counseling services for women and children in New Delhi.
- Caribbean: The Western Union Foundation will support Haitian Education & Leadership Program (HELP) scholarships for students to complete higher education degrees, with an additional focus on skills training and career services.
- Europe:Interkulturelles Zentrum in Austria will be provided with funding for the MyWU Kids Summer Camp, which is a two-week program that includes language and sports skills training for underprivileged children. The camp is open for all children between ages 8-11, subject to program eligibility requirements.
- Middle East: A grant to Lebanese American University in Beirut will help provide financial aid to students under the school's Annual Scholarship Grant program.
Additional information, including the mission, purpose, and how to apply for a grant from the Western Union Foundation, can be found at www.westernunionfoundation.org.
About The Western Union Foundation
The Western Union Foundation is dedicated to creating a better world, where the ability to realize dreams through economic opportunity is not just a privilege for the few but a right for all. With the support of The Western Union Company, its employees, Agents, and business partners, The Western Union Foundation works to realize this vision by supporting education and disaster relief efforts as pathways toward a better future. Our combined social ventures efforts make life better for individuals, families and communities around the world. Since its inception, The Western Union Foundation has committed more than $86.9 million in grants and other giving to more than 2,627 nongovernmental organizations in more than 130 countries and territories. To learn more, visit www.westernunionfoundation.org.
About Western Union
The Western Union Company (NYS: WU) is a leader in global payment services. Together with its Vigo, Orlandi Valuta, Pago Facil and Western Union Business Solutions branded payment services, Western Union provides consumers and businesses with fast, reliable and convenient ways to send and receive money around the world, to send payments and to purchase money orders. As of June 30, 2013, the Western Union, Vigo and Orlandi Valuta branded services were offered through a combined network of approximately 520,000 agent locations in 200 countries and territories and approximately 115,000 ATMs. In 2012, The Western Union Company completed 231 million consumer-to-consumer transactions worldwide, moving $79 billion of principal between consumers, and 432 million business payments. For more information, visit www.westernunion.com.
Andrew Silver, +1 720-332-4119
KEYWORDS: United States North America Colorado
The article The Western Union Foundation Continues to Support Global Education Initiatives with Second Quarter Grants of US$1.7 Million originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.