Shutterfly Announces Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results
Shutterfly Announces Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- Net revenues increase 35% year-over-year to $133.5 million
- GAAP net loss of ($0.31) per diluted share
- Adjusted EBITDA of $6.3 million
- 50th consecutive quarter of year-over-year net revenue growth
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Shutterfly, Inc. (NAS: SFLY) , the leading manufacturer and digital retailer of high-quality personalized products and services offered through a family of lifestyle brands, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013.
"We had a strong second quarter demonstrating continued execution and momentum in our business," said Jeffrey Housenbold, president and CEO. "We are playing to win, in what we believe are the early stages of large market opportunities and as such, are making investments for both short and long-term success"
Second Quarter 2013 Financial Highlights
- Net revenues totaled $133.5 million, a 35% year-over-year increase.
- Second quarter 2013 represents the 50th consecutive quarter of year-over-year net revenue growth.
- Consumer net revenues totaled $124.9 million, a 32% year-over-year increase.
- Enterprise net revenues totaled $8.6 million, an 86% year-over-year increase.
- Gross profit margin was 46% of net revenues, compared to 49% in the second quarter of 2012.
- Operating expenses, excluding $12.1 million of stock-based compensation, totaled $73.6 million.
- GAAP net loss was ($11.8) million, compared to ($9.5) million in the second quarter of 2012.
- GAAP net loss per diluted share was ($0.31), compared to ($0.27) in the second quarter of 2012.
- Non-GAAP net loss per diluted share was ($0.29), compared to ($0.27) in the second quarter of 2012.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $6.3 million, compared to $3.6 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- At June 30, 2013, cash and cash equivalents totaled $365.8 million.
Second Quarter 2013 Operating Metrics
- Transacting customers totaled 2.3 million, a 24% year-over-year increase.
- Orders totaled 3.6 million, a 20% year-over-year increase.
- Average order value was $34.96, an increase of 10% year-over-year.
Third Quarter 2013:
- Net revenues to range from $115.5 million to $117.5 million, a year-over-year increase of 17.2% to 19.2%.
- GAAP gross profit margin to range from 40.5% to 41.5% of net revenues.
- Non-GAAP gross profit margin to range from 43.4% to 44.4% of net revenues.
- GAAP operating loss to range from ($41.0) million to ($43.0) million.
- Non-GAAP operating loss to range from ($18.0) million to ($20.0) million.
- GAAP effective tax rate to range from 46% to 47%.
- GAAP net loss per diluted share to range from ($0.63) to ($0.67).
- Non-GAAP net loss per diluted share to range from ($0.58) to ($0.62).
- Weighted average diluted shares of approximately 37.9 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA loss to range from ($6.0) million to ($8.0) million.
Full Year 2013:
- Net revenues to range from $776.0 million to $781.0 million, a year-over-year increase of 21.1% to 21.9%.
- GAAP gross profit margin to range from 53.0% to 54.0% of net revenues.
- Non-GAAP gross profit margin to range from 54.7% to 55.7% of net revenues.
- GAAP operating income to range from $14.2 million to $20.4 million.
- Non-GAAP operating income to range from $96.9 million to $103.1 million.
- GAAP effective tax rate to range from 30% to 32%.
- GAAP net income per diluted share to range from $0.08 to $0.19.
- Non-GAAP net income per diluted share to range from $0.23 to $0.33.
- Weighted average diluted shares of approximately 39.7 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA to range from $139.7 million to $148.4 million, or 18% to 19% of net revenues.
- Capital expenditures to range from 10.0% to 10.4% of net revenues.
Notes to the Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results and Business Outlook
Adjusted EBITDA is a non-GAAP financial measure that the Company defines as earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization and stock-based compensation.
Free cash flow is a non-GAAP financial measure that the Company defines as Adjusted EBITDA less purchases of property, plant, and equipment and capitalization of software development costs.
Non-GAAP earnings per share is defined as non-GAAP net income (loss), which excludes interest expense related to the issuance of 0.25% convertible senior notes in May 2013, divided by diluted non-GAAP shares outstanding, which is GAAP diluted weighted average shares outstanding less any shares issuable under the Company's convertible senior notes.
Consumer category includes net revenues from stationery and greeting cards, photo books, calendars and photo-based merchandise, photo prints, and the related shipping revenues. Consumer also includes net revenues from advertising and sponsorship programs.
Enterprise category includes net revenues primarily from variable, four-color direct marketing collateral manufactured and fulfilled for business customers.
Average Order Value (AOV) is defined as total net revenues (excluding Enterprise) divided by total orders.
The foregoing financial guidance replaces any of the Company's previously issued financial guidance which should no longer be relied upon.
Second Quarter 2013 Conference Call
Management will review the second quarter 2013 financial results and its expectations for the third quarter and full year 2013 on a conference call on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time). To listen to the call and view the accompanying slides, please visit http://www.shutterflyinc.com. In the Investor Relations area click on the link provided for the webcast, or dial 970-315-0490. The webcast, as well as a podcast, will be archived and available at http://www.shutterflyinc.com. A replay of the conference call will be available through Wednesday, August 14, 2013. To hear the replay, please dial (404) 537-3406, replay passcode 11780255.
Non-GAAP Financial Information
This press release contains certain non-GAAP financial measures. Tables are provided at the end of this press release that reconcile the non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable financial measures prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). These non-GAAP financial measures include non-GAAP gross profit margins, non-GAAP operating income (loss) and the related operating income (loss) margins, adjusted EBITDA, free cash flow, and non-GAAP net income (loss) per share. The method the Company uses to produce non-GAAP financial measures is not computed according to GAAP and may differ from methods used by other companies.
To supplement the Company's consolidated financial statements presented on a GAAP basis, we believe that these non-GAAP measures provide useful information about the Company's core operating results and thus are appropriate to enhance the overall understanding of the Company's past financial performance and its prospects for the future. These adjustments to the Company's GAAP results are made with the intent of providing both management and investors a more complete understanding of the Company's underlying operational results and trends and performance. Management uses these non-GAAP measures to evaluate the Company's financial results, develop budgets, manage expenditures, and determine employee compensation. The presentation of additional information is not meant to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for or superior to gross margins, operating income (loss), net income (loss) or net income (loss) per share determined in accordance with GAAP. For more information, please see Shutterfly's SEC Filings, including the most recent Form 10-K and Form 10-Q, which are available on the Securities and Exchange Commission's Web site at www.sec.gov.
Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This media release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, which involve risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements include statements regarding the Company's market opportunities, investments in future growth and financial expectations for the third quarter and full year 2013 set forth under the caption "Business Outlook." The Company's actual results may differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements. Factors that might contribute to such differences include, among others, economic downturns and the general state of the economy, our ability to expand our customer base, increase sales to existing customers and meet production requirements; our ability to successfully integrate acquired businesses and assets; our ability to retain and hire necessary employees, including seasonal personnel, and appropriately staff our operations; the impact of seasonality on our business; our ability to develop innovative, new products and services on a timely and cost-effective basis; consumer acceptance of our products and services; our ability to develop additional adjacent lines of business; unforeseen changes in expense levels; and competition, which could lead to pricing pressure. For more information regarding the risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in these forward-looking statements, as well as risks relating to our business in general, we refer you to the "Risk Factors" section of the Company's most recent Form 10-K and Form 10-Q, and the Company's other filings, which are available on the Securities and Exchange Commission's Web site at www.sec.gov. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and the Company assumes no obligation to update this information.
About Shutterfly, Inc.
Shutterfly, Inc. is the leading manufacturer and digital retailer of high-quality personalized products and services offered through a family of lifestyle brands. Founded in 1999, the Shutterfly, Inc. family of brands includes: Shutterfly, where your photos come to life in photo books, cards and gifts; Tiny Prints, premium cards and stationery for all life's occasions; Wedding Paper Divas, wedding invitations and stationery for every step of the planning process; and Treat, personalized greeting cards that really stand out. For more information about Shutterfly, Inc. (NAS: SFLY) , visit www.shutterfly-inc.com.
|Condensed Consolidated Statements of Income|
|(In thousands, except per share amounts)|
|Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|June 30,||June 30,|
|Cost of net revenues||71,716||50,710||133,569||100,763|
|Technology and development||26,497||20,930||50,524||39,438|
|Sales and marketing||38,277||30,002||73,172||57,040|
|General and administrative||20,904||15,164||40,801||29,936|
|Total operating expenses||85,678||66,096||164,497||126,414|
|Loss from operations||(23,933||)||(17,786||)||(47,897||)||(36,866||)|
|Interest and other income, net||35||9||42||16|
|Loss before income taxes||(25,834||)||(17,933||)||(49,930||)||(37,158||)|
|Benefit from income taxes||14,023||8,422||25,714||17,607|
|Net loss per share - basic and diluted||$||(0.31||)||$||(0.27||)||$||(0.65||)||$|
|Weighted-average shares outstanding - basic and diluted||37,775||35,812||37,405||35,506|
|Stock-based compensation is allocated as follows:|
|Cost of net revenues||$||592||$||443||$||1,156||$||905|
|Technology and development||2,452||2,675||4,384||4,963|
|Sales and marketing||4,551||2,745||8,256||5,895|
|General and administrative||5,054||3,663||10,391||7,380|
|Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(In thousands, except par value amounts)|
|June 30,||December 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||365,841||$||245,088|
|Accounts receivable, net||14,250||13,574|
|Deferred tax asset, current portion||18,126||7,713|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||50,434||15,268|
|Total current assets||453,573||286,675|
|Property and equipment, net||114,119||92,667|
|Intangible assets, net||127,616||122,269|
|Deferred tax asset, net of current portion||731||854|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Total current liabilities||77,146||137,820|
|Convertible senior notes, net||237,891||-|
|Deferred tax liability||32,545||24,298|
Common stock, $0.0001 par value; 100,000 shares authorized; 37,641 and 36,358 shares issued and outstanding at June 30, 2013 and December 31, 2012, respectively
|Total stockholders' equity||728,118||691,286|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||1,091,228||$||865,124|
|Condensed Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows|
|Six Months Ended|
|Cash flows from operating activities:|
|Adjustments to reconcile net loss to net cash used in operating activities:|
|Depreciation and amortization||19,268||12,741|
|Amortization of intangible assets||14,050||9,103|
|Amortization of debt discount and transaction costs||1,561||-|
|Stock-based compensation, net of forfeitures||24,187||19,143|
|(Gain) / Loss on disposal of property and equipment||87||(622||)|
|Deferred income taxes||(1,891||)||(2,785||)|
|Tax benefit from stock-based compensation||9,856||16,135|
|Excess tax benefits from stock-based compensation||(10,502||)||(16,135||)|
|Changes in operating assets and liabilities:|
|Accounts receivable, net||(65||)||1,887|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||(33,485||)||(29,440||)|
|Accrued and other liabilities||(53,794||)||(32,727||)|
|Other non-current liabilities||6||(359||)|
|Net cash used in operating activities||(71,581||)||(38
Read Full Story
From Our Partners