BRE Properties Reports Second Quarter 2013 Results
BRE Properties Reports Second Quarter 2013 Results
2013 Core FFO Guidance Increased
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- BRE Properties, Inc. (NYS: BRE) , a leading owner, operator and developer of high-quality apartment communities in targeted growth markets in California and Seattle, today reported Core Funds From Operations (Core FFO) of $0.63 per share for the quarter ended June 30, 2013. The per share results reflect an increase of 6.8% over the comparable period in 2012. Core FFO is used to facilitate comparisons of the Company's earnings results and excludes certain non-core items that by their nature are not comparable when comparing periods or earnings performance between periods. All per share results are reported on a fully diluted basis.
A reconciliation of FFO and Core FFO can be found in Exhibit B of the Company's Supplemental Operating and Financial Data. During the quarters and six months ended June 30, 2013 and 2012 there were no reconciling differences between FFO and Core FFO.
- Second quarter 2013 same-store revenues and net operating income (NOI) increased 4.7% and 7.1%, respectively, compared to the second quarter 2012. During the quarter, physical occupancy averaged 95.0%; annualized turnover was 64.5%; and average revenue per occupied home was $1,694.
- Core FFO results of $0.63 per share for the second quarter compared to the previously provided Company guidance of $0.56 to $0.60 per share reflect: (1) solid same-store revenue growth; (2) a reduced level of same-store operating expenses (including a lower level of repairs and maintenance expense and the benefit of $1.0 million in same-store real estate tax refunds); (3) timing on certain G&A expenses (primarily legal related costs); and (4) the timing of community dispositions which closed in late June.
- As previously reported, during the second quarter, BRE completed the sale of a wholly owned apartment community in Los Angeles, California for net proceeds of $46.8 million and the sale of an apartment community in Phoenix, Arizona in which the Company owned a 15% interest. Total net proceeds to BRE for the joint venture interest sale were $6.0 million.
- The Company completed construction of Aviara, a 166-home community located on Mercer Island in Seattle, Washington.
- Annual same-store guidance updated with the expectation that 2013 same-store revenues will increase in a range of 4.25% to 4.75% from 2012 levels, same-store expense will increase in a range of 1.75% to 2.50%, and same-store NOI will increase in a range of 5.0% to 6.0%.
- 2013 Core FFO guidance updated to $2.44 to $2.50 per share. Third quarter guidance announced in a range of $0.62 to $0.65 per share.
"We are pleased with the progress we have achieved in executing our strategic initiatives in 2013," commented Constance B. Moore, Chief Executive Officer of BRE Properties. "During the second quarter, we achieved internal growth near the high end of our expectations, completed the disposition of $53 million of interests in non-core communities; and delivered our Aviara development as planned. Based on our year to date results and our expectations for the second half of 2013, we are raising the mid-points of our operational and earnings guidance. Our key initiatives remain unchanged: to maximize the operating performance of our portfolio, and continue to execute on our development and strategic disposition programs. Over time, we believe these efforts will improve our portfolio quality while preserving our balance sheet strength, which should position BRE to generate above-average returns in the coming years."
Second Quarter 2013
Funds from operations, the generally accepted measure of operating performance for real estate investment trusts, totaled $48.9 million, or $0.63 per share, for the second quarter 2013, compared with $45.8 million, or $0.59 per share, for the second quarter 2012. Core FFO was also $0.63 per share for the quarter. (A reconciliation of net income available to common shareholders to FFO is provided at the end of this release.)
Net income available to common shareholders for the second quarter 2013 totaled $43.6 million, or $0.56 per share, compared with net income of $28.7 million, or $0.37 per share, for the same period 2012. The second quarter 2013 results included gains on sales of an operating community and a joint venture interest totaling $21.0 million or, $0.27 per share. The second quarter 2012 results included a gain on sale of an operating community totaling $8.3 million or, $0.11 per share.
BRE's second quarter year-over-year earnings and FFO results reflect the impact of the following factors during 2013: (1) increases in same-store community-level operating results over 2012 levels; and (2) incremental NOI from newly completed communities in the last 24 months; offset by (1) a reduction in NOI from operating communities sold in 2012 and 2013; and (2) a reduction of partnership and management fee income from joint venture interests sold in 2012 and 2013.
BRE defines same-store communities as stabilized apartment communities owned by the Company for two comparable calendar year periods. Of the 21,126 apartment homes owned directly by BRE, same-store homes totaled 20,624 for the second quarter.
On a year-over-year basis, second quarter same-store revenues increased 4.7% compared to second quarter 2012. The revenue increase was driven by a 5.2% increase in revenue earned per occupied unit during the period, coupled with a 50-basis-point decrease in year-over-year financial occupancy levels. Operating expenses decreased 0.8%, resulting in a 7.1% increase in NOI. The decrease in operating expenses was driven by property tax refunds totaling $1.0 million that were received in the second quarter of 2013 and a reduced level of repairs and maintenance expenses.
On a sequential basis, same-store revenue increased 1.2%, expenses decreased 4.4% and NOI increased 3.8% over first quarter 2013 levels. The sequential quarter increase in revenues was driven by a 1.8% increase in revenue earned per occupied unit during the second quarter, coupled with a 50-basis-point decrease in financial occupancy.
- Dispositions. As previously reported, in June 2013, the Company completed the sale of Summerwind Townhomes, a 200-home, wholly-owned apartment community in Los Angeles, California, for total net proceeds of $46.8 million. Also in June, the Company completed the sale of Arcadia Cove, a 432-home apartment community in Phoenix, Arizona, in which the Company owned a 15% interest. Total net proceeds to BRE were $6.0 million. The sale of these communities resulted in a combined net gain of $21.0 million. Both communities were held on an unencumbered basis.
- Development. In May 2013, the Company delivered final homes at Aviara, a 166-home luxury apartment community located in Mercer Island, Washington. Aviara was completed on time and on budget, at a total cost of $42.9 million. As of July 29, 2013, the community had 115 occupied homes and a total of 132 leased homes.
As of June 30, 2013, the Company had four communities under construction with a total estimated cost of approximately $725 million, of which approximately 60% has been funded, leaving $293 million remaining to be funded. The current communities under construction are expected to be substantially delivered by the fourth quarter of 2014.
After considering alternatives to fund its two Pleasanton, California development sites with off-balance sheet capital, the Company intends to develop the communities on-balance sheet. The Pleasanton projects are expected to commence construction in the first half of 2014 and be completed by mid-2016. Developing the Pleasanton sites on balance sheet enables the Company to increase its investment presence in the San Francisco Bay Area market and to provide the next generation of homes to be delivered after the Company completes the four communities currently under construction.
The Company intends to fund the capital commitments related to its development projects primarily with proceeds from strategic asset sales of certain slower-growth communities in its existing portfolio, as well as from funds available under its $750 million unsecured revolving credit facility which had no outstanding balance as of the end of the quarter. Management believes the disposition of slower-growth assets over time will contribute to a portfolio with greater concentrations in targeted markets and infill submarkets that can produce a sustainable, above-average growth rate. The Company expects to be prudent in the execution of its disposition plans, balancing strategic portfolio goals with capital needs, tax implications, and balance sheet metrics.
During the second quarter, the Company did not issue any stock under its at-the-market (ATM) equity program. The remaining capacity under the equity distribution agreements total $123.6 million.
The company increased annual FFO guidance to a range of $2.44 to $2.50 per share from a previously guided range of $2.35 to $2.45 per share.
The updated guidance reflects: (1) the solid fundamentals experienced in the Company's markets; (2) lower than anticipated expense levels incurred during the first six months of 2013; (3) timing associated with community sales; and (4) higher levels of capitalized interest.
Further details are provided below:
- Same-store 2013 revenues are now expected to increase over 2012 same-store revenue levels in a range of 4.25% to 4.75% from a previously guided range of 3.50% to 4.75%.
- Same-store expenses for 2013 are estimated to increase over 2012 same-store expense levels in a range of 1.75% to 2.50% from a previously guided range of 3.0% to 3.75%.
- Same-store NOI for 2013 is estimated to increase over 2012 same-store NOI levels in a range of 5.00% to 6.00% from a previously guided range of 3.40% to 5.55%.
General and Administrative Expense
- Annual G&A expense is expected to total $23.25 to $24.25 million, which is unchanged.
- Annual interest expense is now expected to total $66.5 to $67.5 million, down from a prior range of $68.0 to $69.0 million.
- Capitalized interest is expected to total $23.5 to $24.5 million, up from a prior range of $22.0 to $23.5 million.
Investment / Capital Markets Activity - second half 2013
- Proceeds from community dispositions in a range of $75 to $125 million, bringing the annual total to $175 to $225 million.
- Development advances are expected to total $90 to $110 million, bringing the annual total to $180 to $200 million.
- Issuance of equity under the company's ATM equity program of $0 to $25 million.
The company has established an FFO guidance range of $0.62 to $0.65 per share for the third quarter of 2013. The third quarter range reflects the positive impact of incremental NOI from property operations offset by the impact of property sales completed late in the second quarter. Third quarter and annual FFO guidance does not include any non-routine income or expense items (including gains or losses associated with the sale of land).
For the third quarter of 2013, the company expects EPS in the range of $0.28 to $0.31. The company expects EPS for the full year 2013 to be in the range of $1.53 to $1.59. Third quarter and annual EPS ranges exclude the impact of gains or losses on any future community sales.
Common and Preferred Dividends Declared
On July 30, 2013, BRE's Board of Directors approved regular common and preferred stock dividends for the quarter ending September 30, 2013. All common and preferred dividends will be payable on Monday, September 30, 2013 to shareholders of record on Friday, September 13, 2013. The quarterly common dividend payment of $0.395 is equivalent to $1.58 per share on an annualized basis and represents a yield of approximately 3.1% on Monday's closing price of $51.69 per share. BRE has paid uninterrupted quarterly dividends to shareholders since the Company's founding in 1970.
The Company's 6.75% Series D quarterly preferred dividend is $0.421875 per share.
Q2 2013 Analyst Conference Call
The Company will hold an analyst conference call on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern (8:00 a.m. Pacific) to review these results. The dial-in number to participate in the United States and Canada is 877.340.7912; the international number is 719.325.4795; enter Conf. ID# 8529222. A telephone replay of the call will be available for 14 days at 877.870.5176 or 858.384.5517 international, using the same ID# 8529222. A link to the live webcast of the call will be posted on www.breproperties.com in the Investors section. A webcast replay will be available for 90 days following the call.
About BRE Properties
BRE Properties, based in San Francisco, California, focuses on the development, acquisition and management of apartment communities located primarily in the major metropolitan markets of Southern and Northern California and Seattle. BRE directly owns 74 multifamily communities (totaling 21,126 homes) and has a joint venture interest in an additional apartment community (totaling 252 homes). BRE Properties is a real estate investment trust (REIT) listed in the S&P MidCap 400 Index. For more information on BRE Properties, please visit our website at www.breproperties.com.
"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements regarding the Company's capital resources, portfolio performance and results of operations, and is based on the Company's current expectations and judgment. You should not rely on these statements as predictions of future events because there is no assurance that the events or circumstances reflected in the statements can be achieved or will occur. Forward-looking statements are identified by words such as "believes," "expects," "may," "will," "should," "seeks," "approximately," "intends," "plans," "pro forma," "estimates," or "anticipates" or their negative form or other variations, or by discussions of strategy, plans or intentions. The following factors, among others, could affect actual results and future events: defaults or nonrenewal of leases, increased interest rates and operating costs, failure to obtain necessary outside financing, difficulties in identifying properties to acquire and in effecting acquisitions, failure to successfully integrate acquired properties and operations, inability to dispose of assets that no longer meet our investment criteria under applicable terms and conditions, risks and uncertainties affecting property development and construction (including construction delays, cost overruns, inability to obtain necessary permits and public opposition to such activities), failure to qualify as a real estate investment trust under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, and increases in real property tax rates. The Company's success also depends on general economic trends, including interest rates, tax laws, governmental regulation, legislation, population changes and other factors, including those risk factors discussed in the section entitled "Risk Factors" in the Company's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K as they may be updated from time to time by the Company's subsequent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, or SEC. Do not rely solely on forward-looking statements, which only reflect management's analysis. The Company assumes no obligation to update this information. For more details, refer to the Company's SEC filings, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
|BRE Properties, Inc.|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|Second Quarter 2013|
|(Unaudited, in thousands, except per share, unit and per unit data)|
|June 30,||December 31,|
|Real estate portfolio:|
|Direct investments in real estate:|
|Investments in rental communities||$||3,758,556||$||3,722,838|
|Construction in progress||431,704||302,263|
|Less: accumulated depreciation||(852,289||)||(811,187||)|
|Equity investment in real estate joint ventures:||6,438||40,753|
|Real estate held for sale, net||23,481||23,065|
|Land under development||36,544||104,675|
|Total real estate portfolio||3,404,434||3,382,407|
|LIABILITIES AND SHAREHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Unsecured senior notes||$||950,000||$||990,018|
|Unsecured revolving credit facility||-||-|
|Mortgage loans payable||711,624||741,942|
|Accounts payable and accrued expenses||84,066||75,789|
|Redeemable noncontrolling interests||4,751||4,751|
|Preferred Stock, $0.01 par value; 20,000,000 shares authorized: 2,159,715 shares with $25 liquidation preference issued and outstanding at June 30, 2013 and December 31, 2012, respectively.||22||22|
|Common stock, $0.01 par value, 100,000,000 shares authorized. Shares issued and outstanding: 77,154,677 and 76,925,351 at June 30, 2013 and December 31, 2012, respectively.||772||769|
|Additional paid-in capital||1,706,458||1,685,691|
|Total shareholders' equity||1,707,252||1,686,482|
|TOTAL LIABILITIES AND SHAREHOLDERS' EQUITY||$||3,457,693||$||3,498,982|
|BRE Properties, Inc.|
|Consolidated Statements of Income|
|Quarters and Six Months Ended June 30, 2013 and 2012|
|(Unaudited, in thousands, except per share, unit and per unit data)|
|Quarter ended||Quarter ended||Six months ended||Six months ended|
|Provision for depreciation||26,090||24,244||51,640||48,602|
|General and administrative||5,956||6,211||12,338||12,058|
Net income before noncontrolling interests, partnership income and discontinued operations
|Income from unconsolidated entities||112||728||429||1,456|
|Net gain on sale of unconsolidated entities (1)||3,608||-||18,633||-|
|Income from continuing operations||26,587||20,009||61,129||37,666|
|Discontinued operations, net (2)||585||1,424||1,028||2,891|
|Net gain on sales of discontinued operations(2)||17,394||8,279||17,394||8,279|
|Income from discontinued operations||17,979||9,703||18,422||11,170|
|Redeemable noncontrolling interest in income||48||105||95||210|
|Dividends attributable to preferred stock||911||911||1,822||1,822|
|NET INCOME AVAILABLE TO COMMON SHAREHOLDERS||$||43,607||$||28,696||$||77,634||$||46,804|
|Net income per common share - basic||$||0.56||$||0.37||$||1.01||$||0.61|
|Net income per common share - diluted||$||0.56||$||0.37||$||1.00||$||0.61|
|Weighted average shares outstanding - basic||77,106||76,735||77,047||76,323|