Dell Adds Powerful Server Streaming to Its Desktop and Application Virtualization Software to Simpli
Dell Adds Powerful Server Streaming to Its Desktop and Application Virtualization Software to Simplify IT Configuration and Optimize Resources
ROUND ROCK, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Dell Cloud Client Computing today announced the release of version 6 of Dell Wyse WSMdesktop and application virtualization software. This new release adds server streaming capability to help organizations harness the benefits of virtualization and cloud computing, while simplifying management and deployment processes and helping to reduce costs. By adding on-demand delivery of server OS images to Dell's reliable and secure end-user computing portfolio, Dell Wyse WSM 6 offers another powerful computing alternative that helps organizations quickly stand up new servers where and when needed, and gives employees and students secured access to content regardless of location.
Dell Wyse WSM delivers operating systems and applications separately to stateless, diskless clients on demand, providing a manageable, reliable and scalable PC computing experience from the cloud. Unlike traditional VDI, Dell Wyse WSM enables the desktop OS and applications to execute locally on the client, giving that client the same look, performance, feel and function of a traditional desktop PC, but storing all OS, applications, and data in the datacenter. With no OS residing on the client, management, support and updates, including Windows XP and Windows 7 migrations, are done centrally and take considerably less time than with a traditional distributed environment.
In addition to powerful and secure desktop and application virtualization,Dell Wyse WSM 6now also enables rapid and efficient server image delivery to physical or virtual machines. This new feature allows for more agile deployment, configuration and management of virtual servers than existing methods - processes that previously took hours are reduced to minutes.
Additional enhancements in Dell Wyse WSM 6 include:
- Dell Cloud DesktopBIOS central configuration: This feature increases efficiency by allowing for central configuration and management of the BIOS settings on pre-configured Dell Cloud Desktops from Dell Wyse WSM. Per-model and policy-based settings can be configured centrally on the Dell Wyse WSM server.
- Expanded platform support: Dell Wyse WSM now enables server and desktop streaming to Windows Server Hyper-V and VMware ESX 5.1 virtual machines and above.
- Shared storage support: Storage resources are optimized via shared support as servers no longer require their own dedicated storage.
- Enhanced Active Directory integration: For auditing and compliance needs, integration with Active Directory allows administrators to monitor and control access to Dell Wyse WSM administration through enhanced logging and auditing capabilities.
- 64-bit support: Dell Wyse WSM's already extremely high-performance desktop and application virtualization is enhanced with support for demanding 64-bit applications.
- Partnership withCloudVolumesto virtualize server applications: Through the Dell Technology Partner Program, CloudVolumes virtualizes everything above the OS and instantly delivers server workloads, including applications, onto Dell Wyse WSM-streamed servers. Administrators can now change the identity and nature of a server instantly, enhancing flexibility, storage efficiency, and agility in server management. For more information, visit the blog here.
Dell Wyse WSM is designed for large or small customers with demanding user or server management requirements, looking to optimize IT efficiency and cut costs. By reducing hardware needs and administration demands, Dell Wyse WSM helps customers achieve their system reliability, security and compliance goals.
"We have had a very successful beta testing period using Dell Wyse WSM's new features and are looking forward to continuing to work with them," said JP Gagne, president at Baremetalcloud. "Being able to manage and pool together our physical servers as if they were virtual is an entirely new capability in the market and it has the potential to increase IT efficiency by leaps and bounds."
Customers and partners who would like to test and evaluate Dell Wyse WSM now have a quick and inexpensive way with the Dell Wyse WSM Starter kit. The starter kit is a turn-key, ready-to-use solution that includes everything IT teams need to conduct a proof of concept within one hour: server, clients, networking, preinstalled software, and virtual desktops for up to three users. In addition, the kit can be expanded to support up to 12 users with minimal effort. Since all components can be reused in production, the upfront investment risk is minimal. More information is available at www.dellwyse.com/WSM
"The new Dell Wyse WSM server streaming feature demonstrates our commitment to making powerful virtualization and cloud computing tools practical and accessible to organizations of all sizes," said Jeff McNaught, Executive Director of Marketing for Dell Cloud Client Computing. "This release is right in line with our goal to be the one-stop-shop for any customers looking to reduce costs and enhance business by optimizing their IT systems."
WSM 6 is being showcased atthe Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference,Microsoft's premier event for channel and technology partners, this week in Dell booth #601. Dell Wyse WSM 6 will be available globally on July 22, 2013 through Dell channel partners. Dell Cloud Desktop PCs and the Dell Wyse WSM Starter Kit are available immediately.
Based on an organizations needs and IT environment, Dell delivers various endpoint options:
- Dell Wyse D00D and Z00D cloud PCs and X00m mobile cloud PCs are optimized to work with Dell Wyse WSM.
For high performance desktop and app virtualization, Dell Cloud Desktop platforms (www.dell.com/clouddesktop) can be configured to boot directly from Dell Wyse WSM with complete application and peripheral compatibility, and are available now on Dell's newest line of OptiPlex desktop PCs and Precision workstations:
- Dell OptiPlex 9020 desktop, Dell's newest powerful commercial desktop, powered by Intel® 4th-Generation Core™ i3/i5/i7 processors for enhanced performance and security
- Dell OptiPlex 3011All-in-One, an affordable, secure, manageable solution to raise task worker productivity and meet interactive learning needs
- Dell OptiPlex XE2, a durable, versatile desktop featuring an ultra-long lifecycle, which can withstand up to 45ºC ambient temperature, and is available as an OEM-ready solution
- Dell Precision T1700 Small Form-Factor and Mini-Tower desktop workstations, powerful workstation performance with professional-grade processors and graphics, ISV certifications and the smallest chassis in their class
KEYWORDS: United States North America Texas
The article Dell Adds Powerful Server Streaming to Its Desktop and Application Virtualization Software to Simplify IT Configuration and Optimize Resources originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.