Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to Celebrate 60 Years of Imagineering at Disney's D23 Expo, August 9-1
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to Celebrate 60 Years of Imagineering at Disney's D23 Expo, August 9-11, 2013
Disney Takes Fans Behind the Magic with an Unprecedented Look at the Imagineering "Dream Factory"
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In honor of the 60th anniversary of Walt Disney Imagineering and the origins of Disney Parks and Resorts, Imagineering is hosting an "open house" at the D23 Expo, August 9-11, opening the doors of its unique facilities and offering an unprecedented look at its creative processes—all on the floor of the Anaheim Convention Center. In addition, Imagineers past and present will host an entire day of panel discussions on Sunday, August 11, celebrating their 60 magical years of "dreaming and doing."
Within the "open house" pavilion, D23 Expo guests will get an up close look at an eclectic array of Imagineering's creative minds—ride engineers, model builders, pre-visualization artists, special effects designers, inventors, and show animators—as they share the skills and talents behind Imagineering's creative process. In addition, guests will have the chance to glimpse at the "workspaces" of several project teams from around Disney's global portfolio of parks and resorts, perhaps spotting a few clues into coming attractions along the way.
For the first time at the D23 Expo, Walt Disney Imagineering will be showcasing some of its most historical and revered concept art from its Art Library, including Herb Ryman's original drawing of Disneyland. Also in the Disney Parks pavilion, D23 Expo guests will again have the chance to explore Mickey's of Glendale, an outlet of Walt Disney Imagineering's employee-only store, to shop for unique souvenirs and collectibles and Walt Disney Imagineering merchandise not available anywhere else.
In addition to the Imagineering Open House, D23 Expo attendees will be able to attend 12 unique presentations and panel discussions that will take fans on the incredible journey behind the latest Disney resorts, attractions, and entertainment including:
- The Art and Artistry of Aulani - Imagineers Joe Rohde and Jeanette Lomboy will share the authentic tapestry of art and stories found at Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa.
- Mayhem, Mischief, and Monkeys: The Magic of Mystic Manor - Join Imagineers Joe Lanzisero and others for the strange stories behind Hong Kong Disneyland's Mystic Manor, the newest and one of the most sophisticated attractions ever built.
- Undiscovered Disneyland - Legendary Imagineer Tony Baxter shares rare and never-before-seen footage of the early days of Disneyland, from design and construction through opening day.
- Broadcasts from Buena Vista Street - Enjoy the latest 'soundtrack' from Disney California Adventure's Buena Vista Street, featuring a live performance of Scary Symphony from radio station KBVS and a panel discussion led by Imagineers.
- Disney Ambassadors - Join current Disney Parks Ambassadors from around the world as they discuss this renowned program and share insights about its rich heritage, current outreach efforts, and the importance of sharing Disney goodwill.
- Voices of the Disney Parks - Back by popular demand, this panel of famous Disney voices will gather for an encore panel discussion, including recreations of some unforgettable Disney Parks sayings.
- Charles Phoenix Presents - Noted humorist and self-proclaimed "retro daddy" Charles Phoenix shares some of his favorite images from around Disney, featuring classic kitsch, clashing colors schemes, and hairdos that truly defy gravity.
The panels continue on Sunday August 11, with a full day dedicated to the celebration of Walt Disney Imagineering's 60th anniversary. The presentations in the 2,000-seat Stage 23 with current and former Imagineers will explore a wide range of topics, from working with Walt Disney himself and the exploration of creativity, innovation, and humor in the parks, to a lively discussion of what it's like to lead one of the world's most creative organizations. More details on these exciting panels and presenters will be revealed soon.
About D23 Expo 2013
The D23 Expo—The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—brings the entire world of Disney under one roof, providing attendees with unprecedented access to Disney films, television, and theme parks. For the latest D23 Expo 2013 news, visit www.D23Expo.com. To be part of the D23 Expo conversation, make sure to follow @DisneyD23 and tag your tweets with #D23Expo.
The name "D23" pays homage to the exciting journey that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his fledgling studio in Hollywood. D23 is the first official club for fans in Disney's 90-year history. D23 gives its members a greater connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic through its quarterly publication, Disney twenty-three; a rich website at D23.com; and member-exclusive discounts and special events for D23 Members throughout the year, highlighted by the D23 Expo in Anaheim, California, August 9-11, 2013.
For press releases, logos and imagery, please visit www.D23MediaNet.com.
The Walt Disney Company
Lisa Scalzo, 818-560-3117
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Angela Bliss, 818-560-4107
Walt Disney Imagineering
John Breckow, 818-544-3458
KEYWORDS: United States North America California
The article Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to Celebrate 60 Years of Imagineering at Disney's D23 Expo, August 9-11, 2013 originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.