Phoebe Waller-Bridge and ‘Fleabag’s’ ‘hot priest’ announced a fundraiser together, and fans are not OK
Phoebe Waller-Bridge has announced a heartwarming new fundraising campaign that has “Fleabag” fans feeling pretty emotional.
The writer and actress, who created the Emmy-winning show, is launching a new project called “Fleabag for Charity,” with proceeds going toward multiple communities affected by the current global health crisis.
A partnership with London’s Soho Theatre, the fundraiser offers fans the chance to stream the original “Fleabag” stage show — which inspired the TV series — for just £4 (around $5). That amount buys access to the one-woman show for 48 hours, with the option to donate more for those who want to.
The show is already available in the U.K. and Ireland, and U.S. viewers will be able to buy it on Amazon Prime starting Friday, April 10. Until then, American fans will just have to settle for Waller-Bridge’s announcement video, which features a special “Fleabag”-related guest.
— DryWrite (@DryWrite) April 7, 2020
The clip, which features Waller-Bridge explaining the campaign, ends with a short line-reading by Andrew Scott, who played the iconic “hot priest” in the “Fleabag” TV series.
“It’ll pass,” Scott says simply, recalling his gut-wrenching line from show’s second season.
In the show, Scott was referring to something very different (no spoilers here!). This time, however, he is referring to our current global health crisis, which the campaign hopes to aid.
Scott’s cameo left fans intensely excited regardless, as many weighed in on Twitter about the announcement.
“I just gasped at the end and then sobbed for maybe ten seconds? All involuntary and shocking. Sending love to you both!” one user wrote.
“I was not emotionally prepared for that ending,” another added.
Waller-Bridge added that 70 percent of the fundraiser’s proceeds will go to those working to fight the crisis on the frontlines, as well as the most vulnerable victims and patients. The other 30 percent will go to the theater industry, which has suffered internationally amid the current situation.
If you liked this story, check out our article on the 10 most expensive TV shows of all time.
More from In The Know:
Here’s everything that’s coming to Disney+ in April
8 of the most splurge-worthy red lipsticks for dark skin
This blemish stick is the perfect little treatment for unexpected pimples
This $28 retinol moisturizer can help reduce wrinkles in one week
The post Phoebe Waller-Bridge is screening the ‘Fleabag’ stage show for charity appeared first on In The Know.