Daniel Dae Kim tests positive for COVID-19, calls for end to discrimination against Asians for coronavirus

Daniel Dae Kim, of Lost and Hawaii Five-O fame, is the latest Hollywood star to be diagnosed with COVID-19.

The actor, 51, shared the news in a video on social media, noting that it “looks like I’ll be OK.” He also detailed his journey with the coronavirus disease in an effort to help others amid this pandemic — and called for prejudice against Asians over the virus to end.

“Yesterday, I tested positive for COVID-19 — the disease caused by the coronavirus,” Kim said Thursday from his Hawaii home, where he has been since Sunday.

He said for the “last several weeks” he had been in New York City, shooting the TV show New Amsterdam, “where ironically I play a doctor who gets recruited to a hospital to help patients during a flu pandemic.” When the coronavirus outbreak led to productions being shuttered, including that one, he flew home to Hawaii to be with his family — wife, Mia, and two children.

Kim was “asymptomatic” at that time, but “as the flight was close to landing, he noticed “some scratchiness in my throat,” which he said was “unlike how I usually get sick.” When he landed, he called his doctor, who told him to monitor his symptoms, so he self-quarantined in a separate part of the home and rested. 

RELATED: Take a look at the public figures who have tested positive for COVID-19:

7 PHOTOS
Figures who have tested positive for coronavirus
See Gallery
Figures who have tested positive for coronavirus

Last week, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson announced that they had tested positive for COVID-19 after contracting it in Australia, where Hanks was filming a movie. 

"We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches," the Oscar-winning actor shared on Instagram. "Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive."

"Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?"

Idris Elba took to Twitter on Monday morning to announce that he, too, contracted the virus. The actor was at the same conference in Webley as Sophie Trudeau, who also tested positive. 

He shared with his fans:

"This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing. No panic.

Sophie Gregorie Trudeau, the wife of Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, was announced to have tested positive for the virus last week. 

Her symptoms developed after attending a conference in Britain in early March. The prime minister is not showing symptoms and will not be tested, but will remain under quarantine.

Kristofer Hivju, best known for his role as Tormund on "Game of Thrones," took to Instagram on Monday to reveal he was self quarantining with his family in Norway.  

"We are in good health,” he wrote. “I only have mild symptoms of a cold. There are people at higher risk for who this virus might be a devastating diagnosis, so I urge all of you to be extremely careful; wash your hands, keep 1,5 meters distance from others, go in quarantine; just do everything you can to stop the virus from spreading.

Olga Kurylenko, who starred in the James Bond movie “Quantum of Solace,” announced this weekend that she has contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. 

“I’ve actually been ill for almost a week now,” she wrote on Instagram. “Fever and fatigue are my main symptoms. Take care of yourself and do take this seriously!”

Donavan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert, both players on the Utah Jazz basketball team, have tested positive for the virus. Gobert was the first NBA player to test positive, which prompted the suspension of the rest of the basketball season. 
Callum Hudson-Odoi, a forward for the Chelsea football team, tested positive for the virus, in addition to Arsenal coach Mikel Arteta. Following the announcement, all professional soccer games in England have been postponed. 
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

 

Later that night, he felt “tightness in his chest,” had “body aches” and developed a fever. So, at his doctor’s advice, the next day he went through a drive-thru testing facility in Honolulu. He was told it would be three days for the results and he returned home. (It was the only time he left his house after arriving back in Hawaii. He never went to a hospital.)

Kim started on a medication from his doctor and drank lots of liquids in addition to the bedrest. As a result, he started feeling a little better the next day and each day after that. After getting his diagnosis Wednesday, he’s “not 100 percent” but “close.”

While it “wasn’t a matter of life and death” for him and he’s “smiling and upbeat right now,” for several days he was in bed very sick,” Kim said. So for people out there not taking it seriously — “especially teenagers and millennials” —“please know that it is,” he said. “And if you treat this without care, you are potentially endangering the lives of millions of people, including your loved ones, so for the sake of everyone else, please follow the guidelines.”

And getting emotional, he shared that his family has all be tested — because he is positive — and they are “all negative.”

Kim thanked the personnel at the testing center as well as his physicians in Hawaii, who he said were “so quick to respond” and “thorough with my care.” He went on to thank everyone in the medical field around the world who works amid the pandemic — and the people keeping things going at pharmacies, grocery stores, airlines, taxi companies.

He also got emotional addressing “the people that I came into contact with during the incubation period” and said he wanted to “sincerely apologize. Though I had no way of knowing and I was trying to be as careful as I could, I feel terrible thinking I could have given this to anyone — let alone people I value enough to spend time with.”

He specifically cited the cast and crew of New Amsterdam and said Universal was working closely with doctors to ensure the safety of anyone who may have worked with him on the set of the NBC show during that period.

Kim got even more serious at the end when he made a plea to end the “prejudice and senseless violence against Asian people,” who are be blamed for the coronavirus, as it is thought to have originated in Wuhan, China. “Randomly beating elderly, sometimes homeless Asian American is cowardly, heartbreaking and it’s inexcusable,” he said. “Yes, I’m Asian and yes, I have coronavirus. But I did not get it from China, I got it in America. In New York City.”

And with President Trump continuing to call it the “Chinese virus,” he said, “Despite what certain political leaders want to call it, I don’t consider the place where it’s from as important as the people who are sick and dying. If I did, I would call this thing the ‘New York virus,’ but that would be silly, right? The name calling gets us nowhere.”

As he wrapped up, Kim said he would do anything to help with the research, including donating his antibiotics for vaccine research.

And joked that among the man silver linings he’s found in this — the support of family, love from fans — is that he’ll be mentioned in the sentence as Tom Hanks and Idris Elba, who both tested positive as well. “Two of my favorite actors. I guess I’m in some pretty good company.”

For the latest news on the evolving coronavirus outbreak, follow along here. According to experts, people over 60 and those who are immunocompromised continue to be the most at risk. If you have questions, please reference the CDC and WHO’s resource guides. 

More on Yahoo Entertainment: 
Evangeline Lilly won't self-isolate, suggests coronavirus is a hoax 
'Modern Family' star Eric Stonestreet donates 200K meals to Kansas City food bank amid coronavirus pandemic 
Kevin Bacon launches '6 Degrees' campaign encouraging people to stay home as coronavirus spreads

Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle's newsletter.

Read Full Story