Vanessa Hudgens slammed for insensitive response to the coronavirus

 

Too much of a hot take? Vanessa Hudgens received backlash from fans on social media after making an insensitive comment about the global coronavirus crisis.

The Spring Breakers actress, 31, fielded questions from her Instagram followers during a live Q&A on Monday, March 16, and responded to widespread worry that the suggestion to stay under self-quarantine may last until the summer.

“Yeah, ’til July sounds like a bunch of bulls–t. I’m sorry,” Hudgens said to the camera. “It’s a virus, I get it. I respect it. But at the same time, like, even if everybody gets it … yeah, people are gonna die. Which is terrible but, like, inevitable?”

Her comments quickly made the rounds on social media and fans weren’t afraid to express their discomfort with her remarks.

“I know Vanessa Hudgens as Gabriella Montez in High School Musical 2 said, ‘I gotta say what’s on my mind,’ but Vanessa Hudgens as Vanessa Hudgens in real life in 2020 talking about the coronavirus should’ve just been quiet,” one Twitter user wrote on Tuesday, March 17, after sharing the clip.

7 PHOTOS
Figures who have tested positive for coronavirus
See Gallery
Figures who have tested positive for coronavirus

Last week, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson announced that they had tested positive for COVID-19 after contracting it in Australia, where Hanks was filming a movie. 

"We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches," the Oscar-winning actor shared on Instagram. "Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive."

"Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?"

Idris Elba took to Twitter on Monday morning to announce that he, too, contracted the virus. The actor was at the same conference in Webley as Sophie Trudeau, who also tested positive. 

He shared with his fans:

"This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing. No panic.

Sophie Gregorie Trudeau, the wife of Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, was announced to have tested positive for the virus last week. 

Her symptoms developed after attending a conference in Britain in early March. The prime minister is not showing symptoms and will not be tested, but will remain under quarantine.

Kristofer Hivju, best known for his role as Tormund on "Game of Thrones," took to Instagram on Monday to reveal he was self quarantining with his family in Norway.  

"We are in good health,” he wrote. “I only have mild symptoms of a cold. There are people at higher risk for who this virus might be a devastating diagnosis, so I urge all of you to be extremely careful; wash your hands, keep 1,5 meters distance from others, go in quarantine; just do everything you can to stop the virus from spreading.

Olga Kurylenko, who starred in the James Bond movie “Quantum of Solace,” announced this weekend that she has contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. 

“I’ve actually been ill for almost a week now,” she wrote on Instagram. “Fever and fatigue are my main symptoms. Take care of yourself and do take this seriously!”

Donavan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert, both players on the Utah Jazz basketball team, have tested positive for the virus. Gobert was the first NBA player to test positive, which prompted the suspension of the rest of the basketball season. 
Callum Hudson-Odoi, a forward for the Chelsea football team, tested positive for the virus, in addition to Arsenal coach Mikel Arteta. Following the announcement, all professional soccer games in England have been postponed. 
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Another fan simply said, “Most celebrities have been doing an excellent job of spreading awareness and best practices to flatten the curve. Looks like Vanessa Hudgens isn’t one of them.”

The Disney Channel alum addressed the controversy on Tuesday, claiming that her response was “taken out of context” in this “crazy time.”

Throughout the uncertainty of the COVID-19 outbreak, stars like Ariana Grandeand Taylor Swifthave encouraged their followers to stay home so as not to unknowingly spread the virus to other people who may be in more vulnerable conditions.

“Guys, I follow you online and I love you guys so much and need to express my concern that things aren’t being taken seriously enough right now,” the “Delicate” singer, 30, posted in an Instagram Story on Sunday, March 15. “This is the time to cancel plans, actually truly isolate as much as you can, and don’t assume that because you don’t feel sick that you aren’t possibly passing something on to someone elderly or vulnerable to this.”

Grande, 26, echoed Swift’s concern in an Instagram Story of her own, which she also posted to Twitter the same day.

“I keep hearing from a surprising amount of people statements like ‘this isn’t a big deal’ / ‘we’ll be fine’… ‘we still have to go about our lives’ and it’s really blowing my mind,” she wrote. “I understand if that is how u felt weeks ago. but please read about what’s going on. please don’t turn a blind eye. It is incredibly dangerous and selfish to take this situation that lightly.”

The “God Is a Woman” singer called out the “privileged” mindset of going out amid a global pandemic and ended her Twitter thread with a simple plea: “Like your hip hop yoga class can f–king wait I promise.”

 

Read Full Story