An accusation of sex assault leveled against Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter is currently under review by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office, a spokesman for the office told TheWrap on Thursday.
According to the spokesman, the case was presented to the D.A.’s office by the Santa Monica Police Department on Tuesday.
In February, a police spokesman confirmed to TheWrap that a sexual misconduct complaint had been filed against Carter and that an investigation had commenced. While the department, like the D.A.’s office, did not identify the alleged victim, the news came after former teen pop singer Melissa Schuman tweeted that she had filed a police report.
“I’m finally doing what I thought I could no longer do. Im filing a police report,” Schuman tweeted.
Schuman accused Carter of assault in a blog post in November 2017, saying that Carter raped her in 2003 when she was 18 and he was 22.
Schuman said in the post that she considered coming out against Carter shortly after the alleged incident, but remained silent after her manager told her Carter had “the most powerful litigator in the country.”
“He was right. I didn’t have the money, the clout or access to an attorney who was powerful enough to stand up against my abuser’s legal counsel,” Schuman said. “I was told I would likely be buried in humiliation, accused of being fame hungry, and it would ultimately hurt me professionally as well as publicly.”
A spokesman for Carter has not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment. However, in a statement after Schuman made her accusations, Carter denied assaulting her, saying he was “shocked and saddened” by them.
“I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations,” the singer said. “Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”
Read original story Nick Carter Sex Assault Case Under Review by DA At TheWrap