Dennis Quaid, the star of I Can Only Imagine, dreams up a few factoids for Us Weekly. Read on to learn 25 things about the actor.
1. Piloting my first flight with passengers, there was a black cloud and the plane started to descend. I thought we were going to die but couldn’t freak out, so I just veered over restricted airspace. That was divine intervention.
2. My biggest pet peeve is pettiness.
3. I studied ballet at the University of Houston. It’s an incredible workout.
4. My celeb crush is Donna Reed. The scene she has with Jimmy Stewart in It’s a Wonderful Life is one of the most beautiful film moments.
5. My biggest dream is to have music on the radio.
6. My favorite book is the Bible.
7. The biggest misconception about me is that I’m a nice guy.
8. I once wanted to be an astronomer. I’m fascinated with the stars.
9. I love watermelon.
10. My favorite movie I’ve made was The Right Stuff, about the original seven astronauts. I grew up in Houston and watched them on TV in the first grade. That replaced me wanting to be a cowboy.
Dennis Quaid out and about
Dennis Quaid out and about
LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 20: Dennis Quaid sighting at Global House on April 20, 2017 in London, England. (Photo by SAV/GC Images)
TODAY -- Pictured: Dennis Quaid on the Today Show. Tuesday, April 11, 2017 -- (Photo by: Nathan Congleton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 11: Actor Dennis Quaid discusses 'Fortitude' with the Build Series at Build Studio on April 11, 2017 in New York City. (Photo by Roy Rochlin/FilmMagic)
NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 10: (EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE) Actor Dennis Quaid visits the SiriusXM Studios on April 10, 2017 in New York City. (Photo by Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images)
WATCH WHAT HAPPENS LIVE WITH ANDY COHEN -- Pictured (l-r): Jemima Kirke and Dennis Quaid -- (Photo by: Charles Sykes/Bravo/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images)
PHOENIX, AZ - MARCH 18: Actor and recording artist Dennis Quaid of Dennis Quaid & The Sharks performs during Muhammad Ali's Celebrity Fight Night XXIII at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa on March 18, 2017 in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images for Celebrity Fight Night)
Actor Dennis Quaid (R) visits Sandra Bernhard's 'Sandyland' on SiriusXM's 'RadioAndy' at SiriusXM Studios on January 25, 2017 in New York City. (Photo by Ben Gabbe/Getty Images)
WATCH WHAT HAPPENS LIVE -- Pictured: Dennis Quaid -- (Photo by: Charles Sykes/Bravo/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images)
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE - 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' airs every weeknight at 11:35 p.m. EST and features a diverse lineup of guests that includes celebrities, athletes, musical acts, comedians and human-interest subjects, along with comedy bits and a house band. The guests for Monday, January 23 included Dennis Quaid ('A Dog's Purpose'), Bill Burr ('Walk Your Way Out' comedy special) and musical guest Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness. (Randy Holmes/ABC via Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 16: (L-R) Actors Cary Elwes, Christian Cooke and Dennis Quaid attend Sony's Crackle 'The Art Of More' Rings The New York Stock Exchange Closing Bell at New York Stock Exchange on November 16, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 15: Actor Dennis Quaid (L) and Santa Auzina attend 'The Art Of More' Season 2 Premiere at Museum Of Arts And Design on November 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Mark Sagliocco/WireImage)
NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 14: (L-R) Cary Elwes, Dennis Quaid, and Christian Cooke attend The Build Series to discuss 'The Art Of More' at AOL HQ on November 14, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Mike Pont/WireImage)
LOS ANGELES - NOVEMBER 7: Molly Shannon and Dennis Quaid backstage during 'The Late Late Show with James Corden,' Monday, November 7, 2016 (12:35 PM-1:37 AM ET/PT) On The CBS Television Network. (Photo by Terence Patrick/CBS via Getty Images)
LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 27: Christian Cooke, Dennis Quaid, Elvis Mitchell and Cary Elwes attend the Film Independent at LACMA screening and Q&A of 'The Art Of More' at LACMA on October 27, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Araya Diaz/WireImage)
CANNES, FRANCE - OCTOBER 17: Dennis Quaid, Faye Dorn and Richard Dormer attend Photocall for 'Fortitude 2' as part of MIPCOM at Palais des Festivals on October 17, 2016 in Cannes, France. (Photo by Tony Barson/FilmMagic)
LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 26: Actor Dennis Quaid attends a career retrospective for SAG-AFTRA Foundation Conversations at SAG Foundation Actors Center on October 26, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Vincent Sandoval/Getty Images)
CANNES, FRANCE - OCTOBER 17: Dennis Quaid and guest attends MIPCOM Opening Party at Martinez Hotel on October 17, 2016 in Cannes, France. (Photo by Tony Barson/FilmMagic)
Discover More Like This
BACK TO SLIDE
11. I was a veterinarian’s assistant when I was 12. I cleaned up, fed the animals and watched operations.
12. My band the Sharks are going to be the oldest guys to make it in rock ’n’ roll.
13. I had a one handicap in golf. Then my twins came along and they wrecked it.
14. My proudest moment was the day I let my son off at the airport to go to college.
15. I went to college only because of Mr. Pickett, the acting teacher. The first week of his class, I knew what I wanted to do with my life.
16. The greatest part of being a father is being in the car with them on the way to school. That’s where you really get to know them.
17. My favorite place is home, and that could be anywhere. Wherever I really feel at peace, that’s home.
18. I turned down Big. I made a few more stupid choices after that too. I just didn’t learn.
19. I wanted to be a musician before I wanted to act.
20. If I could meet anyone it’d be myself when I was 32. I’d tell myself to take it easy.
21. My scariest moment was when my twins were overdosed with [the blood thinner] Heparin.
22. Lawrence of Arabia is, for me, a perfect movie.
23. I love Michael Caine because he doesn’t make a big deal about acting. I hate self-involved actors.
24. My girlfriend and I were in Hawaii when we were woken by the ballistic missile alert. I got back into bed, and we watched the waves. I figured, if we’re going to die, we might as well be in paradise.
25. I auditioned for the Pirates of Penzance. It was dancing and singing. I was so terrible. You could see them having to stifle their laughter.