HOLLYWOOD, CA - MARCH 04: Gina Rodriguez attends the 90th Annual Academy Awards at Hollywood & Highland Center on March 4, 2018 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Christopher Polk/Getty Images)
Stylist Paul Norton said, "This hair look was derived from the neckline of the dress, and we wanted to give her more edge with the second layer of the ponytail.”
1. Prep damp hair using TRESemmé Repair & Protect 7 Pre-Styling Spray
2. Blow dry smooth and straight in sections from nape up, then flatiron in small sections to achieve a sleek look.
3. Part at the center using the TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Shine Serum and then using a flatbrush, pull into a tight ponytail at the nape and confine with an elastic.
4. Once confined, take a small piece of hair using the TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Shine Serum and wrap around the pony tail to conceal elastic. Secure with a few bobby pins.
5. Several inches from base of the ponytail, add an additional elastic. Repeat steps to conceal elastic.
6. Lastly, brush through the bottom of the ponytail. And finish off look usingTRESemmé Compressed Micro-Mist Hair Spray in Level 2: Smooth to tame any flyaways and lock in the look without the stiffness or crunch.
To get Gina's makeup look, makeup artist Carissa Fererri used Burt's Bees products:
Step 1: Skin Preparation
Carissa started by prepping the skin with Burt's Bees Micellar Water to cleanse and hydrate. She then used Burt's Bees Rejuvenating Eye Mask, massaging the excess into Gina's skin. Next, she used the NEW Burt's Bees Conditioning Lip Scrub to prep the lips for a flawless color application later. Finally, to create the perfect canvas, Carissa applied Burt's Bees Sensitive Eye Cream under Gina's eyes and Burt's Bees Hydrating Gel Cream all over her face.
Step 2: Eyes
Carissa filled in Gina's brows with Burt's Bees Eyebrow Pencil in Brunette and brushed the product through to create a soft and fluffy texture. She then used all 3 shades in theBurt's Bees Eye Shadow Trio in Shimmering Nudes. The lighter shade was used under the brow and at the inner corners of the eye, while the medium and darker shades were blended and applied all over the lid, keeping the darker shade towards the lash line and diffusing the color upwards. She then used a bit of the Burt's Bees Eye Shadow Trio in Countryside Lavender to add a pop of barely-there color to the crease. To add drama, Carissa used the Burt's Bees Nourishing Eyeliner Pencil in Warm Brown and smudged it out on both the upper and lower lash lines. To finish, she applied a few generous coats of Burt's Bees Nourishing Mascara in Classic Black.
Step 3: Makeup
Carissa applied Burt's Bees Goodness Glows Liquid Foundation, mixing Rich Caramel and a drop of Pecan to create the perfect shade. To give Gina's face added dimension, Carissa applied Burt's Bees Blush Makeup in Toasted Cinnamon around the perimeter of her face as a bronzer and took Burt's Bees Blush Makeup in Bare Peach and Shy Pink and mixed them together to apply to Gina's cheeks. For her ideal DIY highlighter to top off Gina's dewy skin, Carissa mixed together the champagne color from the Burt's Bees Eye Shadow Trio in Blooming Desert with the Burt's Bees Overnight Intensive Lip Treatment and applied it with her fingertips to the top of Gina's cheekbones, down the middle of her nose and on her cupid's bow. She then sparingly dusted Burt's Bees Mattifying Powder in Almond around the nose, forehead and under the eyes to control any excess oil.
Step 4: Lips
As a base, Carissa applied Burt's Bees Flavor Crystals Lip Balm in Tropical Pineapple since it hydrated the lips without giving off any shine. She then swiped on Burt's Bees Satin Lipstick in Nile Nude to complete the look.