Kathy Griffin reveals Megyn Kelly inspired her controversial Donald Trump photo shoot

Kathy Griffin held a press conference on Friday with her lawyer Lisa Bloom to address her controversial Donald Trump beheading photo, which resulted in her being fired from CNN.

The comedian, 56, and Bloom stood at the podium and addressed countless journalists questions regarding the incident, the Trump family's reaction to the photo and the alleged Secret Service investigation into the photo shoot.

SEE ALSO: Megyn Kelly sports off-the-shoulder velvet dress to interview Vladimir Putin: Pics

During the press conference, Griffin broke down in tears multiple times when addressing the effect it will have on her career and when she revealed she hasn't talked to her New Years Eve co-host Anderson Cooper since he denounced the photo.

See photos from the press conference:

She also revealed that former FOX News anchor Megyn Kelly -- and Trump's scandalous comments about her -- helped inspire the photo shoot, which showed Griffin holding up a fake, decapitated model of Trump's head covered in blood.

"I really apologize," she said. "I screwed up. Of course, you gotta make fun of Trump. [...] I started thinking of that Megyn Kelly thing -- by the way, I'm sure Megyn Kelly can't stand me. [...] I thought of that blood coming out of her eyes blood or coming out of her wherever."

Griffin was referring to when Trump told CNN's Don Lemon during his candidacy that "you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes ... blood coming out of her wherever" about Kelly.

"Let's make this really obvious that I'm making an absurdist, artsy thing," Griffin continued to explain about her mindset heading into the photo shoot. "For a few photos, I was holding up this wig head and we kept making the hair crazier [...] We just took these pictures, it was interesting. There were a few people in the house. I didn't do anything for money. [...] Let's just give them something to talk about. [...] You interpret it the way you want."

See photos of Kathy Griffin:

Griffin continued to defend herself amid the "death threats" that she's been receiving since the photo was released earlier this week.

"This is America -- you shouldn't have to die for it," Griffin continued. "The death threats that I've been getting are constant and they are detailed and they are serious and specific. Today, it's me, and, tomorrow, it could be you."

The comedian also addressed President Trump's claims that his 11-year-old son, Barron, had seen the gory photo on television thinking that it was actually his father.

"I'm very vulgar," she admitted. "I'm too vulgar for children. Don't let your children near me!"

Bloom also made some major comments throughout the press conference, during which Griffin often looked to her for guidance on how to respond to certain questions. When a journalist asked Griffin whether she had anything to say to first lady Melania Trump, for example, Griffin looked to Bloom, who appeared to discourage her from saying anything more than "no."

"Kathy Griffin and Donald Trump are not equals," Bloom announced at one point. "We used to hold presidents to a standard that they don't criticize artists and comedians. He's using the power of the federal government against her."

Griffin echoed those statements saying, "He picked me. Don't you get it? I'm the easiest target: D-list comedian Kathy Griffin."

Reactions to the photo:

More from AOL.com:
Fox News host says Trump called her before climate accord withdrawal
Trevor Noah admits Trump telling earth to 'go f— itself' was a 'pretty gangsta move'
Arnold Schwarzenegger torches Trump over Paris Accord pullout: 'The people will rise up' (Video)