Richard Simmons breaks silence after hospital stay, thanks cops and healthcare providers


Richard Simmons is feeling thankful this Sunday.

After returning to his Los Angeles home earlier this week after a brief hospitalization for "severe indigestion," Simmons, 68, broke his silence on Sunday and took to Facebook to express his gratitude to the hospital staff who helped him and the cops who protected him.

"Hope you're having a beautiful Sunday. I wanted to take a moment to send a big thank you to the wonderful doctors, nurses and staff at Cedars Sinai Medical Center during my short stay there this week. They make you feel good even though you're in the hospital for feeling bad," the fitness guru wrote on Facebook.

"Another shout out goes to the wonderful men and women of the Los Angeles Police Dept. They were so helpful and kind as I returned home," he continued. "Let's take a minute and all be thankful for medical professionals, police, firefighters and our brave military forces here and around the world. They risk so much every day to make us well and keep us protected."

Simmons was shepherded out of Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles earlier this week and the cops shielded him from the prying eyes of press and photographers. The "Sweatin With the Oldies' star has caused a stir in recent years as he has spent very little time in the public eye. He also closed his popular Los Angeles fitness studio recently.

Many fans and longtime friends felt that Simmons was in danger after he withdrew from the public eye, but he told ET earlier this year that he was not in danger. Allegations swirled that he was being held hostage by his longtime housekeeper, Theresa Reveles.

Simmons denied the allegations and later had a conversation with ET where he set the record straight.

"I am not kidnapped," he said at the time. "I am just in my house right now. ...The people that surround me are wonderful people who take great care of me."

Simmons seems to be recovering from his hospital stay at home with the same people.