Best Bites: Healthy 'hash brown' egg cups
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
This is what we call the breakfast of champions: All the flavor of the classic breakfast combo -- but with the benefit of a healthy hack!
Many people deal daily with dietary restrictions -- whether it's because of an allergy, a disease like Celiac's, or it's just a food preference, finding a way to get the flavor benefit and keep to your chosen diet is key.
This recipe helps you find the perfect way to enjoy all the savoriness of hash browns and eggs in a gluten-free way -- using one of our favorites: Cauliflower. See the full recipe below!
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 large egg, whisked
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 medium sized eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray muffin tin with oil.
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until consistency is rice-like. Do not overprocess or puree completely.
- Heat 3 cups of cauliflower in microwave for 8 minutes or until soft.
- Using a towel, squeeze out all liquid in the cauliflower.
- Add whisked egg, cheeses, salt and garlic powder.
- Pour into each muffin hole and press with your fingers to create a cup.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes when the cups are golden and the edges are browned.
- Break the eggs into each cup; season with salt and pepper; return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool before garnishing with chili flakes and parsley. Then serve!