Vegan curried lentil & barley bowls
It's been a curried lentil and barley kind of week. Unlike a pizza week or a taco week, a curried lentil and barley week means you're feeling inspired to finally be the Youtube fitness sensation you've always known you could be but also you're actually just a lazy person and don't feel like making a food that requires you to really chew anything, effectively bridging the gap between spoon and stomach.
This whole grain bowl situation involves a heavy hand of turmeric (my luv), some flavorful friends such as shallot, garlic, and Serrano peppers, an even number of barley and lentil pals, and a whole bunch of roasted little carrots, just sitting there waiting to be eaten. After an hour in a mega hot vegetable broth and coconut milk bath, the whole thing really just needs to be scooped into a bowl before you pile it into your mouth. You can also top this off with some coconut cream if you believe in yourself / me. Ok, next time I see you we will be knee deep in matcha peach cakes things so prepare yourself!!!!!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 Serrano pepper, minced
- 1/2" nub fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white lentils (uri dahl)
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 1 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 8 oz assorted baby carrots (or equivalent traditional carrots)*
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 jalapeno sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Sprouts for garnish (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the coconut oil to high heat. Add the minced shallot, garlic, Serrano pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes, turmeric, and a pinch of salt and lower heat to medium. Stir constantly for one minute. Pour in the vegetable broth and coconut milk, raise heat back to high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the barley and lentils, give a good stir, return to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and reduce the heat to low.
- Let cook for about 1 hour, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the lentils and barley are tender.
- While the lentils and barley are cooking, prepare the roasted carrots. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place the carrots into a baking sheet with a lip. Toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper and roast for 15 - 20 minutes until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Once the barley and lentils are finished, scoop portions into your serving bowls, top with roasted carrots, fresh cilantro, jalapeno, sprouts, and a drizzle of coconut cream. Enjoy bb!
*If using traditional carrots, about 3 will do. Slice them in half lengthwise before cutting into 3" sections. Follow cooking directions in step 4 above.
RELATED: How to make lentil and sun-dried tomato stuffed salmon