Precious family dog barely survives rattlesnake attack
WESTMINSTER, Colo. (KDVR) -- An owner is warning others after her dog was bitten by a rattlesnake and spent two days in a veterinarian hospital.
Kaylene Osborn and her three dogs take a trip to the Westminster Hills Dog Park a couple times a week. But after a run-in with a rattlesnake this past week, she says they'll probably wait until winter for their next trip.
"Along the trail, I heard a little rattling noise so I grabbed the two dogs closest to me, but (Annabelle) was already right by the snake so I couldn't grab her," Osborn said.
She said Annabelle was curious, trying to check out what the rattling noise was so she reached her head in and the snake bit her. Osborn rushed Annabelle to a veterinarian, where she received antivenom medicine and spent two days recovering.
Annabelle is recovering and the veterinarian said there shouldn't be any lasting effects.
Osborn said she knows it could have been much worse and wishes she would have handled the situation differently.
"Instead of just freaking out, I would have tried to back all three (dogs) up calmly and use commands," she said.
Osborn also wants her story to serve as a warning for other dog owners -- that snakes are out there.
"One of the vet techs said she saw 16 rattlesnakes last year," Osborn said. "We learned an expensive, hard, scary lesson."
During the summer, rattlesnakes are most active during early-morning and late-evening hours. Wildlife officials said it is best to keep dogs on a leash in open fields, but if not, to keep a close eye on them.