Woman dies after contact with sick horse

CDC: Woman Dies After Contact with Sick Horse

This is a horse lover's worst nightmare: according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, a woman died after coming in contact with a sick horse.

SEE ALSO: Scientists find evidence of birds flying while asleep

A 71-year-old woman was visiting her 37-year-old daughter at her horse boarding and riding center in Washington in late February of this year. While there, her daughter and one of two horses experienced symptoms of an infection. The woman herself soon developed symptoms as well.

Both her daughter and the horse recovered with antibiotics, but unfortunately the woman passed away on March 3.

RELATED: Diseases, viruses, and infections

Various bacteria, diseases, infections
See Gallery
Various bacteria, diseases, infections


(Photo by Sebastian Kaulitzki via Getty Images)

E.coli bacteria

(Photo by Ian Cuming via Getty Images)

S. pyrogens, a nonmotile, pathogenic bacteria. Commonly associated with septic sore throat infections (known as 'strep throat') & scarlet fever.

(Photo by S. Lowry/Univ Ulster via Getty Images)

Influenza virus particle surrounded by some floating red blood cells

(Photo by Ralf Hiemisch via Getty Images)


(Photo by Ed Reschke via Getty Images)

Microscopic Image of Escherichia Coli

(Photo by Duncan Smith via Getty Images)

MRSA Staphylococcus aureus Bacteria outside a white blood cell

(Photo by Science Stills via Getty Images)

Microscopic Image of Neisseria Gonorrhoeae

(Photo by Duncan Smith via Getty Images)

Neisseria gonorrhoeae

(Photo by G W Willis via Getty Images)

Microscopic Image of Clostridium Tetani

(Photo by Duncan Smith via Getty Images)

Cyanobacteria in stream

(Photo by Mint Images, Frans Lanting via Getty Images)


Samples from the woman, her daughter and the two horses were taken; all but one horse tested positively for an infection called Streptococcus zooepidemicus.

The CDC report noted, "although S. zooepidemicus is a rare zoonotic pathogen in humans, older persons might be at increased risk for a fatal outcome from this infection." They recommend that people in contact with animals should thoroughly wash hands after contact.

Read Full Story