Waiter arrested after bite of salmon leaves man in coma

Waiter Arrested After Bite of Salmon Leaves Man in Coma

WPIX -- When Quebec resident Simon-Pierre Canuel went to dinner at Le Tapageur restaurant with his partner in late May, he ordered beef tartare and says he repeatedly told their server that he is allergic to seafood.

But when he began to eat he quickly realized he'd gotten the salmon tartare instead. "With the dim lighting, it's not easy to tell the difference between two dishes, especially if they use mayonnaise. It can be confusing," Canuel explains.

Just after the waiter apologized and said he'd bring beef, Canuel—whose EpiPen was in his car—went into anaphylactic shock and was rushed to the hospital. Not only did he go into cardiac arrest the next day, but he was in a coma for a couple days after that.

"I almost died," he tells the CBC. Canuel alleges that the waiter didn't take notes or tell the cooks about his allergy; was talking, laughing, and drinking with other customers; and that the restaurant made no attempt to contact him after the event.

Most common food allergies to be aware of:

Most common food allergies to be aware of
See Gallery
Most common food allergies to be aware of

Peanuts and peanut products

(Photo via Shutterstock)

Tree nuts

(Photo by Jeremy Woodhouse via Getty Images)

Cow's milk

(Photo by Igor Skrynnikov via Getty Images)


(Photo by Andrew Unangst via Getty Images)


(Photo by Roger Dixon via Getty Images)


(Photo by Vlad Fishman via Getty Images)


(Photo by Lew Robertson via Getty Images)


(Photo by Alexandra Grablewski via Getty Images)


In July he filed a formal complaint with police, who interviewed witnesses and arrested the 22-year-old server after searching his home, reports the Montreal Gazette.

It is now up to Quebec's director of criminal and penal prosecutions to determine whether charges such as criminal negligence will be brought. One crime attorney tells the CBC that this could be the first such charge made against a server in Canada — something so "excessively rare" that it is "practically unheard of," adds a police spokesperson.

This article originally appeared on Newser: A Bite of Salmon Put Him in a Coma. The Waiter Was Arrested

More From Newser:
First Came the Root Canal. Then Came the Missing Tool
The Dead Man's Brain Was Famous, the Battle Over It, Secret
Here's Why Amish Kids Don't Get Asthma as Often

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.