Buffalo chicken lasagna roll ups
Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups made with a filling similar to the infamous Buffalo Wings, rolled up in pasta; then topped with a simple Bechamel cream sauce.
Though our kids here in NJ are still on Summer break, many states have ventured back to school this week (parents don't all cheer at once!). With that comes extra busy schedules and trying to figure out what meals can be made ahead to save some time and casseroles like this one for Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups are perfect.
I've never tried making lasagna roll ups before; however, I've seen enough recipes on the internet and in magazines over the years to try it myself. I mean it's really quite easy, except you have to use dry or fresh pasta noodles and cook them first instead of using those no bake pasta sheets like I usually do in regular lasagna. Since I had some leftover roasted chicken, I opted to make something I knew my family would love and turned one of their favorite dips into this new recipe.
How good does this look? We couldn't wait to dig in to try it for ourselves. I mean literally. My daughter was standing over the dish with a fork asking me if I took the pictures yet so she could steal a bite. I think she misses getting to taste my experiments first hand while she's away at college because she usually only gets the frozen leftovers.
I have to say, I don't know why I waited so long to make these Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups. They were incredible! I like how just one lasagna noodle creates a single portion size and the filling and sauce couldn't be any easier to make.
Casseroles like this recipe are perfect for a crowd and also freeze and reheat well. I'll definitely be making more roll up recipes like this one when my daughter heads back to school in the beginning of September. Casserole dishes like this are such a time saver; especially when I can prepare everything ahead of time (even the night before); then just refrigerate and heat when we're ready to eat. ~Enjoy!
For the Lasagna
- 10 Lasagna Sheets (not the no bake kind)
- 15oz. Ricotta Cheese (I used part skim)
- ½ c. Whipped Cream Cheese (I used low fat)
- 1-2 tbsp. Hot Sauce; adjust to your liking
- ½ c. Ranch Dressing
- 1 c. Cooked Chicken, diced
- 2 c. Shredded Mozzarella, divided (I used part skim)
- Prepared Bechamel Sauce
For the Sauce
- 4 tbs. Butter
- ¼ c. All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 2 c. Milk
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
For the Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. When the noodles are done, drain the water and rinse under cold water so that you can handle them.
- While your noodles are cooking, prepare the filling. In a small bowl, combine cooked chicken, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, Ranch dressing, parsley and hot sauce.
- Lay out a few of the lasagna noodles on a flat surface like a cutting board; then add some of the filling on top of the noodles. Carefully roll them up and place them in a casserole dish. Repeat the process until all of the rollups are done; then prepare the sauce.
- Pour the sauce on top of the lasagna roll ups, sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and chopped parsley; then bake for 30 minutes.
For the Sauce
- Melt butter in a small saucepan; then whisk in the flour forming a roux.
- Add the milk and parsley and stir until the sauce is thickened; approximately 3-5 minutes.
RELATED: Easy lasagna roll-ups you need to try