Oreo cream cheese stuffed red velvet brownies
Red velvet brownies are layered with a cream cheese filling in these layered Oreo Cream Cheese Stuffed Red Velvet Brownies that are perfect for any red velvet lover.
These Oreo Cream Cheese Stuffed Red Velvet Brownies bring in two elements– cream cheese and Oreos. I started with my favorite red velvet brownie recipe. I use the recipe in my book for Brownie Cups, but it is a great recipe that translates over to regular brownies as well.
But these aren't just brownies. Half of the batter goes into the pan, then you get a thick layer of Oreo infused cream cheese. The center of these red velvet brownies is pretty much heaven. Then the rest of the brownie batter goes on the top and then they are baked to gooey perfection. These are definitely more on the gooey side versus the cakey side.
A few hints to making these red velvet brownies – an offset spatula was my best friend. The first layer of of the dough is a little bit difficult to layer into the bottom of the pan. It helps first of all if you drop dollops of the dough over the surface of the pan instead of just dumping the batter into the center. Take your offset spatula and spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Use that to spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan. Then you'll want to repeat that procedure with both the cream cheese layer and the top brownie layer. I know they sound a little fussy, but they really aren't. And they are totally worth it, anyway!! These Oreo Cream Cheese Stuffed Brownies are rich and sweet and filled with all kinds of goodness – they are a red velvet dream come true!!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 Oreos, roughly crushed (about 5 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with foil or parchment paper, then spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- In another bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar. Add in the egg, food coloring and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the Oreos until evenly combined.
- Pour half of the red velvet brownie batter into the prepared pan. Smooth with a knife, spoon or offset spatula. Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the top of the red velvet batter. Drop the remaining red velvet batter over the top and carefully spread evenly over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a tester comes out with only a few red velvet crumbs on it, about 30 minutes. Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.
- it's easiest if you drop dollops of the batter over the whole bottom of the pan versus dumping it all in the center. Then use an offset spatula that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to spread the batter evenly across the whole dish. Repeat with the cream cheese layer and the top brownie layer.
- I wanted bigger chunks of Oreos, so I just put my cookies in a ziptop bag (cream and all!) and used a meat mallet to roughly break them up.
RELATED: How to make cream cheese frosting for red velvet cake