Dictionary.com announces amazing new additions, such as 'health goth' and 'butthurt'
The English language is amazing, and dictionary.com has revamped the list of official words to reflect that.
After going through billions of data points, the leading website added 300 new words and definitions and over 1,700 updated entries.
"Many of the new word additions are tied to larger cultural conversations, from current political events to slang," said Liz McMillan, CEO of Dictionary.com in a press release.
We rounded up our favorite new words and short forms of their definitions -- full ones can be found on dictionary.com, of course.
- al desko: eating at one's desk in an office.
- butthurt: mental distress or irritation caused by an overreaction to a perceived personal slight.
- ghosting: the practice of suddenly ending all contact with a person without explanation, especially in a romantic relationship.
- health goth: a fitness enthusiast who is part of the goth subculture.
- hot take: a superficially researched and hastily written journalistic piece, online post, etc., that presents opinions as facts and is often moralistic.
- lamestream: noting or relating to traditional print and broadcast media, when regarded as lacking the fairness, creativity, etc., of independent online news sources.
- lumbersexual: a man whose style of dress and appearance is reminiscent of the ruggedly masculine stereotype of the lumberjack.
- manspread: to sit with one's legs far apart, taking up too much space on a seat shared with other people.
- Pokémon: a media franchise including video games, animated television series, movies, card games, etc. that depict a fictional class of pet monsters and their trainers.
- presstitute: a journalist or media source whose news coverage is considered to be inappropriately influenced by business interests, political motives, etc.
- woke: actively aware of systemic injustices and prejudices, especially those related to civil and human rights.
- ze: occasionally used with a singular indefinite pronoun or singular noun antecedent in place of the definite masculine he or the definite feminine she.
- Zika virus: a chiefly mosquito-borne virus of the genus Flavivirus that causes Zika, a mild illness.
Be sure to add these to your vocabulary as quickly as possible. Stay woke.
RELATED: More about health goths: