Crispy skin slow cooker jerk chicken
Crispy Skin Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken is a family-friendly and simple weeknight dinner recipe with a spicy kick and a ton of flavor! This slow cooker jerk chicken begins in the slow cooker and ends on the grill, thus giving it the crispiest skin while still holding in a ton of deliciousness!
Crispy chicken is something I never tire of, and we have definitely had our fair share of it this summer. I think it's because chicken on the grill is so great. You get that charred, crispy skin without compromising flavor and moistness. What I really have become obsessed with is cooking chicken in the slow cooker and then transferring it to the grill to crisp up the skin. In the winter, I tend to broil it, but in the summertime nothing seems to match that grilled taste.
I have lightly seasoned chicken, slow cooked it, and then grilled it. I've done a BBQ version, and now I'm basically obsessed with this spicy slow cooker jerk chicken. It definitely packs some heat, especially if you use the traditional habanero peppers, but in the case for this chicken the heat doesn't overwhelm the taste. The flavor can't be matched.
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 shallot
- 3 jalapenos (for more heat use habanero)
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed from step
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 8 chicken pieces, bone-in and skin-on (I used a mixture of legs and thighs)
- In the bowl of your food processor, combine the scallions, shallot, jalapenos (or habaneros), thyme, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, olive oil, coriander, allspice, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pulse 10-12 times or until mostly smooth. Set aside.
- Pour half of the mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the chicken and brush the rest on top. Cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 3 hours.
- When your chicken has about 10 minutes left. Preheat your grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the grates a little bit of oil. Carefully transfer the chicken from the slow cooker to the hot grill. Grill until charred on both sides, about 4 minutes on each side. You want it to be dark and crispy. Remove from heat and let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the chicken alongside a salad and fresh corn. Enjoy!
RELATED: Slow cooker bbq chicken recipe