Orlando shooter Omar Mateen may have targeted Disney World as a potential site of attack, according to media reports.
People cites FBI sources who say the deceased shooter and his wife Noor Zahi Salman visited Walt Disney World in Orlando in April.
SEE ALSO: Obama says there is no clear evidence Orlando killer was directed by extremists
Salman told law enforcement Sunday, a day after the attack that left 49 dead at Pulse nightclub, that recently Mateen had been scouting both the nightclub and Downtown Disney as potential places to attack.
RELATED: See photos from outside Pulse nightclub
Downtown Disney does not have a security checkpoint for entry the way the ticketed theme parks do.
49 people were killed and 53 injured early Sunday morning in a mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fla. Mateen opened fire on the crowded nightclub with an assault rifle, sending patrons fleeing. He was killed after engaging with S.W.A.T.
Mateen had been investigated twice before by FBI, but still managed to legally purchase the AR-15-style assault rifle he used in the massacre, along with a slew of other weapons, as recently as early June, according to People.
Forty-eight of the 49 victims at Pulse have been identified, and 53 more remain in the hospital with injuries.
Read original story Orlando Shooter Scouted Disney World for Potential Attack (Report) At TheWrap